R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the stamp

GB1

O
O
How do you grade the steel? What is the lowest quality and what is the highest and where do your knives fall into this mix? Oggie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I like the stamp

Yep, me too. Whomever said "real knife guys like the stamps over the etches" was 10000000% correct........

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by oggie
How do you grade the steel? What is the lowest quality and what is the highest and where do your knives fall into this mix? Oggie

I like everyone else have an azzhole and an opinion. the trick is to share your opinion without being an azzhole. There are many fantastic knife steels out there. Asking a group of knife makers witch steel is best is probably like ask the hunters sitting around the campfire which caliber kills deer better. I personally got hooked on D2 years ago. Its seems to be a work horse that is reasonable to grind, reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge very well. IMHO D2 is the perfect compromise between carbon and stainless having the best qualities of both. But for the kitchen I like 154 and yes 440c, for the higher stain resistance. As far as grading steel, I wouldn't know where to begin. There are a lot of steels I have never tried, and never will. i believe the perfect steel is when the right steel is matched with the right grind, the right heat treatment and matched to the use for witch it is intended. Where do my knives fit in?? I know I build a quality knife that holds an edge very well, My grinds and finishes are improving. To this date I have never had an unhappy customer, that I know of. My knives may not be right for everyone, but for what I build knives for---they'll get the job done.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
LIKE! ...great answer.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This is my testament for D2. I built this knife for myself July 2012 as an EDC. Knowing that this knife was going to be horrifically abused, I left the grind a little thick, and did chisel tanto point. I do commercial air conditioning, so this knife has done things that would curl your toes, intentionally testing its limits. Yes its been duller than a pole ax. and had small chips in the blade, but like I said it has been pushed beyond extreme use. I have been quite satisfied with its performance. Here are photos of new and current.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Perhaps a little off topic, but I noticed your EDC and that you said you do AC work.

Between 2000 and 2008, before I came to my senses I had 85 manufactured homes that I did all the maintenance on. So that's 85 A/C units, (combination split and package), 170 toilets, 85 hot water heaters (combination of gas and electric)........ well perhaps you get the picture. These were located in 5 different trailer parks. Sometimes in the summer I would drive 250 miles a day and service 5 different a/c units among the other emergencies that sprang up while I was there fixing a unit. I can't tell you how many times a day I use a knife.

[Linked Image]

This Boker top lock has been my daily carry since 2003.

[Linked Image]

It is a full auto Boker.

Seems I'm usually in a nine-line bind when I need a knife,and two hand open is not an option.

It fills the hand perfectly

[Linked Image]

I bet it's opened well over 2000 bottles of Negra Modelo.

Misplaced for about a month during deer season last year. Felt like I'd lost a body part.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like the stamp and agree with you, the stamp seems a much better option then etching. I am about to order one for myself and have a couple of questions...

1) where did you buy it from
2) how long did it take to get
3) would you order again from them

Thanks,
41Gunner

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Evers Stamp. When I ordered mine they had a bad snow storm andmissed about 4 days in the shop and it took about 4 weeks they said 3 when ordered
Yes I would not hesitate to order from them again. I'll gp ahead and answer the next question. $175.00

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the reply....Evers was top on my list to call about ordering a stamp.

41Gunner

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I seem to have a lot of luck with this set up. Black and toxic green G10 and the textured finish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool G-10,love that blade profile its really nice, good job, you should make a bottle opener on the butt of that knife for Geedubya before he cuts himself, lol.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This is a handy little skinner.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a super cool looking skinner, maybe a dumb question but is there a purpose for that notch at back of blade, just asking? And what are dimensions of handle/ blade, thanks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really like the stamp.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by INTHEMTNS
That is a super cool looking skinner, maybe a dumb question but is there a purpose for that notch at back of blade, just asking? And what are dimensions of handle/ blade, thanks.

7 7/8 OAL 3 1/4 edge 5/32 D2 Deep hollow grind 12" wheel.
The notch has sorta evolved. It started out as a small nick, until one day I got a little carried away. I finished the knife with the black and toxic green and Kydex sheath. I was showing it to a survival type feller, and he said the notch looked like it would fit a feral rod (fire starter). First pull it pull such a large spark it set the carpet on fire. So there it is.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
"First pull it pull such a large spark it set the carpet on fire."
Gotta love it when a plan comes together! wink

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking great Dale

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DaleAtkerson
I seem to have a lot of luck with this set up. Black and toxic green G10 and the textured finish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those are great blade profiles. Do you do stabilized wood scales?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Its in my future plans but its Dale Howe aka mntmn1. I'm the good lookin one
Had Dale Howe stabalize some for.me it was first rate. Will be showin some in a week or so.

Last edited by DaleAtkerson; 03/12/14.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.