Originally Posted by oggie
How do you grade the steel? What is the lowest quality and what is the highest and where do your knives fall into this mix? Oggie

I like everyone else have an azzhole and an opinion. the trick is to share your opinion without being an azzhole. There are many fantastic knife steels out there. Asking a group of knife makers witch steel is best is probably like ask the hunters sitting around the campfire which caliber kills deer better. I personally got hooked on D2 years ago. Its seems to be a work horse that is reasonable to grind, reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge very well. IMHO D2 is the perfect compromise between carbon and stainless having the best qualities of both. But for the kitchen I like 154 and yes 440c, for the higher stain resistance. As far as grading steel, I wouldn't know where to begin. There are a lot of steels I have never tried, and never will. i believe the perfect steel is when the right steel is matched with the right grind, the right heat treatment and matched to the use for witch it is intended. Where do my knives fit in?? I know I build a quality knife that holds an edge very well, My grinds and finishes are improving. To this date I have never had an unhappy customer, that I know of. My knives may not be right for everyone, but for what I build knives for---they'll get the job done.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?