Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I like it!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
Just counted them: 10 little piggies.

[Linked Image]

Three of those little porkers, along with some of their kin, made it into some pulled pork this weekend at our annual parish men's outing. We're going to finish it off tonight since Lent starts tomorrow. I won't eat meat again until Easter Sunday morning, but I don't think there's any rule against continuing to procure it between now and then.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ill throw in to the OP that when referencing some of the older articles supplied be careful using the data straight up. I noted that some of them date back to the 60's and 70's and some of the powders have changed slightly since then thus making it possible to create some pressure levels higher than experienced by the author of the article.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bangeye
Ill throw in to the OP that when referencing some of the older articles supplied be careful using the data straight up. I noted that some of them date back to the 60's and 70's and some of the powders have changed slightly since then thus making it possible to create some pressure levels higher than experienced by the author of the article.

Good point. Thanks!

And by the way Ingwe and Elk: the Montana Rifle Company ASR came in today. When I get it cleaned up from all the packaging grease I'll post a pic. Now for a scope...hmmm...what should it be...

Mike

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Ingwe; did you ever load and shoot those 150 NBTs at 2500 you were talking about? How'd they do? Try that same velocity in any partitions yet?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes I did! 48.0 gr of H4831 shoots lights out! Im gonna take a couple to Texas and stick them in Axis deer. Tried the same thing years ago with NPTs and the rifle shot them just fine�...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Going to try 160 gr NP's in the CZ 7x57,just because I can.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For whatever reason, my rifle wouldn't shoot them. It loved the 150s and 175s�go figger�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The CZ has a magazine that is for a .270/.30-06 length cartridge. So I'm gonna seat those 160's waaaayyyyyyy out there and see if those bullets will reach 2750/2800 fps.

Oh,by the way,the CZ has a 24" barrel.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm betting they'd work great in a pig. Might have to give them a try sometime. Maybe even the 160s since one of my 7x57s has a faster twist than the Winchester...although Elk doesn't think it's gonna matter much inside a hundred yards (and he's probably right).

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 150s are gonna get used mainly on Axis�the pigs will get AIed grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,the 160 gr Nosler Partition is my FAVORITE bullet in a 7mm. Have not tried them in the Mauser,but,in 7mm Rem mag and 7mm Dakota they worked on deer,antelope and elk.

Don't know why it took so long to try them in the little Mauser.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
At the relatively short ranges I shoot I wonder if either the NBT or NPT are really worth messing with. If I was sticking them in deer, maybe, but about the only breathing thing I shoot are pigs.

For example, early Sunday evening (at 7:11 to be exact) five little hoglets came into one of the right-of-ways leading to a feeder. The right-of-way is about 25 yards across and these little fellows, about 65 pounds each, were quartering into me, but still about 25-30 yards out. At that range anything over about a .250 Savage is pretty much overkill, especially considering that, like Geedubya, I generally shoot for CNS. Two of the little sows winded me and the entire sounder took off like lightening. I had my old M94 with me, but wasn't planning to shoot anyway since I didn't feel like going all the way back to the cabin and hooking everything up just to clean a pig. So, they lived to be hunted another day.

Which will be tomorrow afternoon, by the way.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,at those ranges probably not. wink

Maybe a .222 Remington would be better. smile

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/02/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Maybe a .222 Remington would be better. smile

I've been tempted to run a .223, but with my luck the biggest hog on the property would be lumbering 125 yards away and I'd be kicking myself for not bringing the Mauser. Decisions, decisions...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Take both.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Take both.

I'd have to hire Ingwe as my gun-bearer...carried across his shoulder by the barrel, of course.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Pay him in beer and whiskey. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Pay him in beer and whiskey. wink

Got any idea his brands?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CZ has a magazine that is for a .270/.30-06 length cartridge. So I'm gonna seat those 160's waaaayyyyyyy out there and see if those bullets will reach 2750/2800 fps.

Oh,by the way,the CZ has a 24" barrel.

Elk,

I can't get my 7mms with 22" barrels to shoot 160 NPTs into your fps brackets but can with the 150 grain NPT. Would be interested in your results.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 2ndwind, 7 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,952
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.