Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 120 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 119 120
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, I guess I should've said hello......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought by chance it may have been you, but then I noticed he was young.... grin

And the nubile nymphs hanging around him confirmed any other question....

Last edited by battue; 04/09/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'm doing the basic bench/squat/deadlift. No cardio. We'll see show things shake out in the mountains this fall with no cardio.

Once your gains stall, there is more to be gained from cardio, and in particular moving heavy schidt while at a high heart rate, IE, 10 BW deads, 400m x 3 for time, that just doing the same weight routine over and over.

5K trot with the sheppard today

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Careful pointer, or you're going to develop a case of carotid thrombomyelosis.
Not sure what that is, but as long as it doesn't keep my weiner from working I ain't skeered...

Warmup:
Med ball hot potato

Workout:
As many reps as possible in 30 minutes of:

push ups, 30 reps
sit-ups, 30 reps
squats, 30 reps
pull-ups, 30 reps
split squats, 15 reps each leg
single unders, 30 reps
double unders, 30 reps
burpee, 30 reps
box jump 20″, 30 reps
box over jump 20″, 30 reps
ring dips, 30 reps
jumping pull-ups, 30 reps
ring push ups, 30 reps
handstand push ups, 30 reps
jumping squats, 30 reps
bear crawl, 30 reps
calorie row, 30 cals.
box step-ups, 30 reps
wall taps, 30 reps
lateral box step-ups, 30 reps
inverted push ups, 30 reps
toes to bar, 30 reps
clapping push ups, 30 reps
lateral hops/ski hop, 30 reps
knees to elbows, 30 reps
shuttle run 30m, 30 lengths
side shuffle 30m, 30 lengths
back pedal 30m, 30 lengths
tire jumps in-and-out, 30 reps
lateral tire jump in-and-out, 30 reps

post reps completed.

I made it to jumping squats for a rep total of 429. No one in my class made it past the bear crawls. It'll be interesting to see how far anyone gets. Good work capacity workout.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pointer, you win the prize for longest workout.......

to read.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, you win the prize for longest workout.......

to read.
Winning at something is better than not winning right?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seriously though, my hat is off to you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another boring day on the machines. grin

However the weather has broke to the good side, so perhaps a hike is in order for tomorrow. Have some yard work to take care of so that is on the agenda. Will have a hard time squeezing in some shotgunning. Hmmmm priorities. confused

Spinner: 30minutes
Concept2: 30minutes

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Concept II Rower, 5K, 24:06 Walked the pooch a half-mile to cool off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, but I don't feel like that is warranted. I have a LONG way to go to catch up to most of the folks here.

And I don't mean just in age! laugh

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did upper body yesterday.

Pointer, I take that back.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks, but I don't feel like that is warranted. I have a LONG way to go to catch up to most of the folks here.

And I don't mean just in age! laugh

Take your time with that age thing. It comes quick enough. grin Or stretch it out as much as you can. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Milk: Good or bad? A search shows more bad than good, but I'm good for a gallon of the thick variety each week. What do the gym rats say?

Raining here so the hike and yard work is on hold. Off to the gym in a bit.

Last edited by battue; 04/11/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good for your bones, especially as you get older. Probably better to go with low-fat though, as far as your heart goes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Paleo guys say no milk of course but I don't think they have science on their side. Skim milk has the requisite 4:3 carb/protein ratio the Zone Diet requires, and IIRC, 2% milk gives you the 30/30/40 ratio almost exactly.

I'll mix skim milk with my protein shake (Cytogainer) and eat nuts to get the fat for a meal replacement. After a workout, you do not need the fat. Also, after a workout, your body can utilize more sugars to replace the glycogen you just burned, without jacking insulin up. Some say chocolate milk is the perfect post-workout/recovery food. Basically a Zone liquid meal plus some extra simple sugars.

Many prefer skim milk to avoid saturated fat. The research is now coming in that, as many have long said, saturated fat, in moderation, has never been a factor in heart disease, and may actually be cardio protective.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...=blogs&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=3&

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've also read some of the recent literature on changing thoughts re saturated fats.
My take is that some are genetically programed to be more sensitive to saturated fats and some are able to tolerate them in quantity.

I think trying to completely avoid sat fats is a guaranteed way to frustrate ones efforts to eat a balanced diet. Also have been reading some investigations into the role of fats in delaying Alzheimer's. Expecially MCT Oil. (Medium Chain Tryglycerides)

I take a hit of it every couple days.

[Linked Image]

Another of my food addictions. Have a hit of this stuff just about daily.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Harry: I looked into coconut oil a while back as an Alzheimer's prophylactic. My mom had it. What I found was a single anecdotal study that supported it's effectiveness, done by a woman who was selling a book on the subject. Is there any more recent information on it?

Check out Turmeric as an anti-inflammatory and also potential prophylactic for arthritis pain and certain cancers. A Google search will get you tons of info.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Phil,

I probably read a review of the same book. However, I seriously doubt that enough valid research has been done to validate the conclusions.

I have causally read a good bit on Alzheimer's and the proposed causes, and truthfully it is too complicated for me to understand the whys of it, so my thoughts are subject at best. What is known and proven, is that a fully functional brain needs cholesterol: perhaps more so than any other organ. Therefore, I am of the opinion that trying to lower cholesterol to abnormal levels "may" have adverse consequences on brain function. I think trans fats have been proven to be bad, however saying all saturated fat is bad, well I'm not personally convinced.

Seems to be the brain functions on glucose and that as we age it ability to use it diminishes. However, it can replace glucose with ketones and get along just fine. Which seems to be one of the advantages of the ketogenic diet, in that it releases ketones into the blood stream.

Now if cholesterol was all that bad-and some propose it is a contributor for Alzheimer's dementia-then with the wide spread use of statin drugs over the last decade, you would think by now we would be seeing declining incidence; or at least delayed progression of declining brain function. So far that has not been the case. Is the reason because the population is aging faster, and more are inclined to Alzeheimer's? Perhaps????

Perhaps everything in moderation is where the truth lies.

For what it is worth and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn. Usually express and not the select. laugh

Got in a short hour plus hike outside. Housebound was driving me nuts. Perhaps will hit the gym a little later in the evening.

Addition: A while back, one of my best buds who is a physician said I have to go on Statins, so away we went. Bloods tests always normal, but after about 8 months the legs started to huuuurt. Blood tests still normal. He said it was in my mind. Quit the statins and 3 days later the legs felt fine. "It's in your mind", he says. Back on Statins and back to legs hurt. Quit them, legs feel fine. No more I say and he shrugs and says, "Its in you mind."

Eventually he puts himself on Statins, and eventually I get a phone call. "It wasn't in your mind" is what I heard. smile

What I take from that is if Statins can cause inflammation of leg muscles, can they also cause inflammation of brain cells and the corresponding decrease of cholesterol possibly have detrimental consequences on the brain?

Just throwing that out there. Perhaps the Docs can give some insight.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seriously, check out turmeric, there are supposed to be benefits for inflammation and Alzheimer's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No thanks, Champagne of Beers here. Two words for you smoke, "Red Rocks". Hope to see you over there soon.

Page 27 of 120 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (450yukon, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.