Phil,

I probably read a review of the same book. However, I seriously doubt that enough valid research has been done to validate the conclusions.

I have causally read a good bit on Alzheimer's and the proposed causes, and truthfully it is too complicated for me to understand the whys of it, so my thoughts are subject at best. What is known and proven, is that a fully functional brain needs cholesterol: perhaps more so than any other organ. Therefore, I am of the opinion that trying to lower cholesterol to abnormal levels "may" have adverse consequences on brain function. I think trans fats have been proven to be bad, however saying all saturated fat is bad, well I'm not personally convinced.

Seems to be the brain functions on glucose and that as we age it ability to use it diminishes. However, it can replace glucose with ketones and get along just fine. Which seems to be one of the advantages of the ketogenic diet, in that it releases ketones into the blood stream.

Now if cholesterol was all that bad-and some propose it is a contributor for Alzheimer's dementia-then with the wide spread use of statin drugs over the last decade, you would think by now we would be seeing declining incidence; or at least delayed progression of declining brain function. So far that has not been the case. Is the reason because the population is aging faster, and more are inclined to Alzeheimer's? Perhaps????

Perhaps everything in moderation is where the truth lies.

For what it is worth and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn. Usually express and not the select. laugh

Got in a short hour plus hike outside. Housebound was driving me nuts. Perhaps will hit the gym a little later in the evening.

Addition: A while back, one of my best buds who is a physician said I have to go on Statins, so away we went. Bloods tests always normal, but after about 8 months the legs started to huuuurt. Blood tests still normal. He said it was in my mind. Quit the statins and 3 days later the legs felt fine. "It's in your mind", he says. Back on Statins and back to legs hurt. Quit them, legs feel fine. No more I say and he shrugs and says, "Its in you mind."

Eventually he puts himself on Statins, and eventually I get a phone call. "It wasn't in your mind" is what I heard. smile

What I take from that is if Statins can cause inflammation of leg muscles, can they also cause inflammation of brain cells and the corresponding decrease of cholesterol possibly have detrimental consequences on the brain?

Just throwing that out there. Perhaps the Docs can give some insight.

Last edited by battue; 04/11/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler