Originally Posted by Eremicus
I see your friend admits that his crash diets to make himself look good runs him down alot. What he doesn't understand is that he is also buring up his precious muscle tissue to get the glycose he must have to function. Not a good idea. Don't believe me ? Take a good look at a straving person sometime. No fat, but no muscle tissue either. The body can't use fat instead of glucose to function.

E, you need to do what works for you. Cutting out empty carbs works for me, and it works for a lot of people. And increasing Omega-3's also works for a lot of people.

In my post above, I did not cite any studies and freely admitted that I might have some of the science wrong.

You cited no studies, but seem to think you have a corner on the truth regarding the science. How is that?

And your quote I referenced above is a joke; my friend did not go on "crash diets," he just ate no carbs. Also, you got it wrong. My friend did not say that cutting carbs ran him down a lot, and I said nothing of the kind. What I said was, he continued with his workouts (which by the way include lifting way more than most normal humans can) and felt himself getting weaker. "Weaker" being a relative term; the guy was still lifting more weight than you and I together could, while maintaining a body-builder's physique.

And to be crystal clear, this was in the part of his training cycle where he was trying to get his total body fat down to 5-6%, when he cut ALL carbs, and felt a little weaker. During the rest of his training, which was most of the time, he followed the diet I cited, which did not make him feel weaker, and as I said, he could lift more than you and I combined, including some state records for power lifting.

Bottom line, eat what you want, it makes no difference to me. All I know is that eating what I eat (and working out) has allowed me to more than keep up with guys half my age in the mountains, and these are guys that are in pretty good shape.

A wise man is frequently humbled.