Originally Posted by battue
Well, Toby is an English field Cocker and he doesn't point but flushes. It is a shock collar. Every once in a while he wants to range a little too far and gets a sound buzz. It is rare I have to give a light shock in that he hears the buzz sound and shortens up. Doubt if I actually shocked him 5 times this past year.

In fact most times I leave it in the truck and only bring it out if needed. Other times I use it when he is hunting with pointers. Their beeper collar goes off when they are pointing and I either hup-have him stand/sit where he is, so not to mess up their point-or give him a sound buzz to bring him in.

Ah, so it is a shock collar. I stand corrected. Poor Toby. I've hunted over some Brittanys that had a bad habit of bumping birds a little too far out. Out of range in typical grouse cover around here isn't far because of the density of the cover. They may have been fine on farmland quail but I believe they would point and then keep creeping forward, or maybe the birds just got nervous. Those grouse require strong legs and lungs (speaking of being fit) stomping the thick crap in these mountains. Hearing birds getting up just out of reach after such strenuous work is frustrating.
Great picture and good looking birds (and dog!)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com