This is good info.

I'm 5'8", 170, and celebrating my 12th anniversary of turning 38. I've been in good shape most of my life and been working out most of my life mostly lifting in one form or another. I used to HATE Cardio. Still don't 'like' it but as I've gotten older it has become a necessary evil. I work out year around but am prone to missing a few workouts in the fall - but not many, its way too hard to catch back up.

I just changed workouts right after Christmas. I'm doing 2 days of whole body strength workouts using basic movements (squats, bench, pulldowns, etc) and 2 days of something called BodyPump - a Les mills derivative taught by a crazy Russian chick. Its not too far off a CrossFit program for intensity.

I dreamed up my own CrossFit program I'll start on when the weather breaks a bit but the BodyPump thing has been a good intro. Doing squats and squat derivatives for 15 minutes with 40 lbs is tougher than it sounds. Especially when you end the routine with 5-10 minutes of one-leg lunges.

For strength training, I do 2 working sets of 6-8 reps: Squats, Leg curl, bench press, pulldowns, shrugs, calf raises. I do 1 heavy set, 6-8 reps for: Bi, Tri, shoulders. Repeat Tuesday and Friday.

For Cardio, I'm doing the BodyPump thing for 60 minutes. Its a whole body type workout with intensity adjusted by weight. You can really make it suck if you want. I've been on a bend to work till failure by the end of 60 minutes. Not puking is a common goal. Sweating copious amounts is a by product.

I tend to rest on Wednesday.

On Saturday, I go for a 5-10 mile hike in the Smokies or do deer scouting for at least half a day. Either way, I'm carrying a pack weighing 7-12 lbs, depending on how much food/water I bring.

Sunday, I rest, Sabbath sort of thing.

For nutrition, I limit the amount of sugar, simple carbs, and refined anything. I quit drinking except for the occasional glass of wine or glass of rum (love Capt Morgan on 4 ice cubes). I tend to eat unprocessed foods and whole grains, with meat 1-3 times a week. Tend to bypass dessert of any sort - except my wife's apple pie - she makes the best pie on the planet. I tend to eat alot of turkey and chicken, tuna and salmon, and alot of various nuts - love raw pecans and walnuts. Maintaining a healthy weight isn't rocket science and doesn't need to be torture.

My goal is to be doing what I've been doing till I'm 70 - DIY elk hunting in far flung places, climbing/hunting eastern mountains, hiking in the spring/summer, and not worrying about falling apart. I'd like to bench 300, squat 400 but those days of chasing dreams like that are gone. Plus they aren't necessary to achieve a high level of fitness.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.