I'll give it a try, although I may be older and a bit more arthritic. I have had three knee scopes on my left knee since my ACL recon in 1999. I live and work in Jackson MS, but "play" out in the Western/NW mountains, hiking with my wife, or flyfishing with my son & other buddies, or chasing elk/mulies/antelope over the years. In 2009 I started sheep hunting, drawing the only non-resident RM Bighorn tag in Oregon in Hell's Canyon. I've had the good fortune to take mature Dall's and mature Fannin's in the Yukon 2012 & 2013, and a good Stone's in 2014 in Northern BC. The hunts were all backpack, use of Argos sparingly on two, horses (which I hate) on one.The four rams were taken on day 6, day 7, day 7, and day 11, respectively.
Since the last hunt, my left knee is wearing down more, and I will probably need a total knee replacement sometime late Fall. I've got another ram hunt this August in the Yukon. I've got a pretty decent workout routine, working up to the 50lb backpack/stairmaster/elliptical at the local YMCA (getting interesting stares..here Down South) the last two months before the hunt, but have some questions. I am 58 years old, 5'10", 180lbs.
What routine do y'all suggest, if at all, with the kettle bells?
I can't really run, substituting the elliptical or stair master due to the left knee DJD,
so would swimming add anything to it?
I have tried several knee braces, and the DonJoy OA Everyday works well for me with a neoprene sleeve. Any suggestions on others?
I do the sit-ups, back extensions, bench press, military press, biceps curls, planks, low/mid/high rows, "fly" and lat pull-downs, triceps work, leg press, hamstring curls...alternating upper body days vs. lower body days in between cardio.
If any mid 50's-60's guys are out there, I would love to see what your exercise routine is to keep y'all in "mountain shape".
I'm not smart enough to get an "avatar" or photo attached to my post, as the "pixels" apparently were too large.
Any advice on a routine would be most appreciated.
Gordon