Originally Posted by pak
Well, recently I have developed 'runner's knee' in both of my knees and a Baker's cyst in the right. Cyst is not painful but the knes are very painful, after sitting awhile. I'm looking for suggestions for aerobic exercises I can try to keep my heart/lungs in shape while this condition clears. Swimming is out. Thanks.

If you are having knee pain from running, it is likely because your running form sucks. IE, you are heel-striking. Proper running form, even for long-distances, can be done barefoot on gentle/smooth terrain. POSE running, Chi-running, "barefoot" running are all quite similar versions of this. I'll bet if you went to a basketball court and ran around it barefoot for a few laps, you'd realize that it didn't hurt, because running without "pillows" strapped to your feet causes you to land on the balls of your feet, using the muscles/fascia of the lower legs as "springs" to cushion the landing. Running is an activity that can really wear on joints, as such, it should NEVER be done on successive days. No one in their right mind would do deadlifts or squats every day. Running is similar, IMO.

As for alternate forms of cardio, a Concept II rower is the only "cardio" machine worth owning, IMO. Good vids on its use at the Crossfit site. Next I'd reccomend a Stairmaster PT7000 Stepmill one or two days each week if you can find one. This is essentially walking up a down escalator. This can induce patellar tendonitis if you over do it, moreso the shorter your legs are, as short people have to flex the knee farther to reach the step height. Pushing or dragging a loaded sled or flipping a 3-400# tire will definetely get your heart pumping.