Originally Posted by pointer
As my hunt last week in AZ showed me, and I mentioned prior in this thread, the gym has helped except for my lower leg/ankle stability/strength. Any suggestions of what to do to make that better?

My previous job had me walking over rough/rocky ground quite often, especially in the summer, and I never seemed to have a problem. I didn't hurt myself, but was more sore than I remember being in my calves/ankles.

Yep, go minimal on the shoes and barefoot whenever possible. A great exercise for the ankles/shins uses 5Lb plates. Attach a strap of some type, duct tape works, sticky to sticky side so you can slide it onto your feet just above the arch so the plate is centered right at the ball of your foot.

Sit at the end of your bed with the plates on your feet so your feet just hang out over the edge of the bed to allow full movement. Now rotate right, left, up, down etc to work the ankles and shin muscles. Be warned, start easy and take your time working up to whatever desired reps. you are shooting for. It's easy to work it too hard early, causing much soreness in the shins, ankle muscles etc and even possibly shin splint type issues so easy does it in the beginning

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton