I�ll chime in. I�m 56, 6�3� and 195. At this point I don�t have many short-terms goals for weight loss etc., the goal is to stay injury free and right now I�m recovering from some chronic shoulder problems that might require surgery. I have long-term goals and those are to live long enough to enjoy my grandchildren (none yet) and to be able to get around and hunt in the mountains until I�m 70. The goal used to be 60, but that was back when I thought 60 was old and didn�t know any better.

I hunt public land in the Rockies mostly, which means the farther I go in to get away from roads, the better I do. My goal is to keep doing that.

I have a desk job so I try to get to the gym about 6 days a week when not traveling. I do a 3-day rotation, cardio one day, lower body and core strength the next, and upper body the third. I�ll walk 3 miles off-trail 2-3 times a week and start carrying a pack and adding weight in the spring/summer leading up to the season in September. I�ll also do a few to good overnighters/weekenders/dayhikes in the mountains in the summer. Here's a favorite spot:

[Linked Image]

Here�s a typical cardio workout:

--35 minutes of intervals on the Nautilus Stairmaster machine (moving steps like an escalator); 35 seconds going at 100 steps/minute followed by recovery period of 85 seconds at 70 steps/minute. Heart rate stays between about 180 and 160 the whole time. Never touch the handrails, that's cheating.

--5 minutes cool-down walking on a level treadmill.

--20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill, inclined at 15%; 35 second intervals jogging backward at 3.8 mph until the lower legs burn, followed by 2 minutes recovery walking forward at 2.8 mph. Heart rate stays between 140-160. This is one you can really feel in the lower legs and quads, same muscles you use to put on the brakes while descending.

--5 minutes cool-down walking on level treadmill.

--15-20 minutes stretching and using the foam roller on legs, hips, and back.

Last night I got in an upper body workout, I�m recovering from a chronic shoulder problem (cortisone shot last week) so this was abbreviated:

--5 minutes warm-up on the machine that is like a bike for your arms, whatever that's called

--5 minutes stretching

--Lat pull-downs (instead of pull-ups, easier on shoulder)

--Chest press using cable machine

--Internal and external shoulder rotations using cable machine

--Russians

--Seated rows (weight machine, not rowing machine)

--Hammer curls using dumbells, drop sets

Lower body/core is my hardest day:

--Start with stretches and 3 sets of 20 skaters for side-to-side strength and stability, focusing on holding and pausing on the landing

--Three sets of prone hamstring curls

--Three sets each of back extensions and obliques on the Roman Chair, with increasing weight
--Three sets of box jumps (36�) from seated position

--Three sets hanging leg raises

--Three sets one-legged box jumps (18�) moving progressively farther from the box.

--Three sets on the squat machine (protects knees) progressively more weight

--Three sets either old-school sit-ups or hanging leg raises for obliques.

--Three sets dead lifts or RDLs

--Three sets one-legged dumbbell flies on the BOSU ball, upper body and off leg parallel to ground

--Three sets one-legged ankle rotations on BOSU ball for balance and front-to-back strength/stability, flat surface up; push forward until flat part hits the floor, hold for a second, then push backward until the flat part hits the floor, three sets of 20 on each leg, keep hands behind back to work on balance. This really gets a burn in the calves.
I follow all workouts with the same recovery drink, about 1/3 litre of OJ for the sugar with L-Glutamine and 40 grams whey powder mixed in. Then more protein shortly after.

A wise man is frequently humbled.