Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AH64guy Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sorry for another in the trail of "What did I buy post?"(s), but these things happen. I had about 30 seconds to make a decision, decided in 10 seconds, and the deed was done.

So, listed as a pre-64 Winchester 70 in .270 caliber from the early 50's.

The good: Blueing is supposed to be original at 90% or greater, probably closer to 95, but I had a very limited time to look. The bolt is blued. Stock finish appears to be original and intact, and the checkering is still sharp in the grip and the forearm, didn't see any flat spots at all. The screw heads all look clean and the bore is gleaming. Steel butt plate is blued with very faint loss around the edge, but not much. Front sight hood is present. The magazine floor plate has 90% blue, may have few very minor small scratches, but it does not look like the typical carried in the hand rub-off.

The bad: old Weaver scope with two horizontal cross-hairs in a side mount that required the receiver side to be drilled and tapped in the middle. I think the mount is the Pachmayr Lo-Swing rifle scope mount. The mount also goes down below the woodline on the left side, and the stock has been relieved for the scope mount. The stock work has been professionally done, the cut lines in the inleting are clean and no ragged edges. But, I know the cuts to the stock and the extra side taps are a deal-killer for the hardcore collectors. Look like a scope mount set-up for a flip to the side to use the iron sights.

If I had to guess, it's a new purchased single owner rifle (in 1950s) that was set up for East Coast whitetail duty, probably saw the range and the woods for a few trips, and then regulated to the back of the closet for most of it's life.

Limited pictures, and they are terrible. Didn't realize they were so bad from looking at the smart phone screen. Will take much better and post when I pick it up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you've got a great piece of Americana there. The "270 WCF" pre-dates it probably around '-50-'51 as my 1952 version of the same caliber has "270 Winchester" on the barrel, #235XXX. The bluing looks superb. I'd take that baby out after a good bore cleaning and put some 130 gr Nosler AccuBonds thought it and enjoy!

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The bluing is very distinctive, congrats on your find.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very nice model 70 AH64, hunt and enjoy! I will tell you that the collector value was taken out with the extra holes on side of receiver, A&C and several other, Griffin and Howe are the first that come to mind were big on drilling the mod 70's, hunt and enjoy but I hope you were able to buy taking into account the extra holes. Thanks for your help on the Docter scope, the USA folks that I bought the elevation turret from is going to help me get her back up to snuff, I think something happened during shipping. very best to you my friend WinPoor

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
WillyP - please send me a PM on the scope, and if there was a out-of-pocket cost.

I knew the collector was gone when they drilled the side, and cut the wood, but it was too nice to pass. I like the way Kitch put it: "It's a piece of Americana" and a bit of a time capsule of by-gone days and ways.

I'll shoot some better pictures this evening or tomorrow in good light.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Very nice model 70 AH64, hunt and enjoy! I will tell you that the collector value was taken out with the extra holes on side of receiver, A&C and several other, Griffin and Howe are the first that come to mind were big on drilling the mod 70's, hunt and enjoy but I hope you were able to buy taking into account the extra holes. Thanks for your help on the Docter scope, the USA folks that I bought the elevation turret from is going to help me get her back up to snuff, I think something happened during shipping. very best to you my friend WinPoor

Extra holes do suck hind tit, but other than that, it looks like an excellent rifle. I'd still take one like that over a new manufactured rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
According to Rule's book,that rifle was made in January 1950. EXCELLENT FIND/BUY!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Extra holes do suck hind tit, but other than that, it looks like an excellent rifle. I'd still take one like that over a new manufactured rifle.

Yup, I would have bought it also over a new one, looks like a very nice rifle.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Agreed - vintage blued steel and American walnut do appeal...

Picked it up after dark, so had to wait for daylight to get better photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pachmeyer swing mount with Weaver KV in 2.5 and 5, with a dual horizontal crosshair, both appear to be period correct:

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...-AE3C-8553156874E2_zpsdpqkdhim.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...-B3CF-CEC7177BC06C_zpssch6yja8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...-9A10-E786BAF69943_zpsfwq0ytfb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...-AF45-BD0141CDCDC8_zpsdr5ruum7.jpg[/img]

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I commented yesterday that the bolt was blued, it's not, just the long extractor and the shroud/safety.

The butt-plate screws look like they have been removed, anything I should be checking there? Were the stock serial numbered?

What is the opinion of value of the rifle as it sits?

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/03/14.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Stocks were not serialized....perhaps plate was removed to hide owners id in the event of theft. Very nice condition rifle....too bad about the extra holes and modified stock. Maybe $500.00 - $600.00 as a shooter. Rear sight is not correct....should be a 22G.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pocono's right again. It's common to see the 22G-3c combo taken off and replaced with the marbles 69 or Lyman 16B because the 22G can be sold for around $120.00 and the 16B can be bought for $25.00. About the rear plate: I don't know why someone would take the rear plate off so many times (as evidenced by the screws). However, it's possible that the stock was shortened at one time and someone (lets call him bubba) re-inletted a steel plate back on to the stock. A quick overall length check would confirm this. The stock on this rifle is almost worthless with the wood cut out for the side mount. I've seen similar rifles sell for $500.00 around here. Like I said in a previous post, I'd still by a rifle like this over a new manufacture win model 70. Especially when they are going to be assembled/made in Portugal sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
AH64, do not sweat a few extra bucks on the sidemount, that is pure classic America, do you know if Abercrombie & Fitch or Griffin & Howe did the work? At the time that was a very popular deal as scopes were not nearly as reliable as they are now, Well heeled hunters had that done to hunt as they could give a good dog dam about collector value 60 years down the road. enjoy a very fine rifle that will wilt a whitetail or just about anything you decide to drop the hammer on in the USA ! Somebody took good care of that gun. very best WinPoor

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
BSA - what should the length be?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
32 1/4" (for the OAL of stock) off the top of my head. I'll check rules book, just to make sure. Length of your rifle should be 44 5/8".

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
OAL is 44 and 5/8, looking at the screws again, it looks more like the butt plate was sitting on something rough. Like leaning in a corner in a concrete floor, or against the truck fender on a gravel road.

The lower screw looks untouched. The high polish bluing puts a white edge on every corner and edge in the pictures.

Pretty sure the 22G was removed to clear the bell on the Weaver scope when it was installed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If it's any consolation, I like your rifle. I hope my previous post about it's worth didn't sound insulting. I was just referring to specimens I've seen here locally for sale. However, I've been known to buy pristine pre 64 fwt's for $800.00 as well. Your rifle sure is a beauty and if you are like me, you'll will really enjoy the time spent with it out in the woods. Winpoor knows exactly what I'm talking about here. I'm thinking your new rifle is going to be a shooter too. My pre 64 fwt really impressed the heck out of me yesterday. I shot it side by side with a newer 270 fwt that just couldn't hang in the accuracy department. Even though it is the pushfeed model which is supposed to be more inherently accurate than the old CRF model.

Originally Posted by AH64guy

Pretty sure the 22G was removed to clear the bell on the Weaver scope when it was installed.

You are probably correct. I've done the same thing.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
No offense taken - I was asking for an honest assessment of value. I don't play with enough with current values of Model 70 Winchesters to know what the market is. I watch the fieascos in the Classified over pricing and would prefer to avoid being "that guy".

It will get a range trip and we will see how she does.

Appreciate the input.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I look forward to hearing about the range trip. I always bring a pre 64 of some flavor when I go. Good luck with yours..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't like the the scope mounting either but what a nice gun! I don't think it would take too many times to mess up those butt screw heads, just the right guy with the wrong screw driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,369
Posts18,506,520
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.