Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mike,
I can count on two hands the number of boars like that I've killed in 15 years of hunting the hill country. They are few and far between. Like mature deer they are very aware of their surroundings. They are usually loners and mostly come out only at night. Plus from my experience, they don't show up every night and are hard to pattern.

[Linked Image]

Zombie hog.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/IMG_0051.jpg[/img]

These are the kind you don't want to come face to face with when you're on your knees in thick cedar at night with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Went out about 10 to make sure horses hadn't spurng the hog trap. Well they were all milling around the trap and I could hear hogs a-gruntin'. Horses spotted me in the moonlight and came to investigate. Bunch of hogs came out. And I hosed em all Guadacanal style. Got these on ice.

[Linked Image]

Nice Bob!
Lots of good meat there! That little fellow on the right is the size my little Brother just loves to cook whole on a spit and are really tasty! Me, I prefer pork chops & breakfast sausage.

I've got a feeder here on the Ranch on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos that's been in the same spot for 22 years now. We've probably shot well over 200 Hogs at that very spot, as they just keep coming to it. I've seen as many as 40 hogs under it at one time.
Anyhow, there is now a water hole under the feeder that's 3 feet deep and at least 12 feet in diameter from the hogs rooting for corn underneath the feeder. Destructive little bastids, and they are hell on our fences, too.

Long story short, When I first set up that feeder, I would put a couple of boxes of strawberry Jello powder mix in with 300 lbs of corn and sprinkled another box on the ground under the feeder. An old timer told me that trick, and I didn't really believe him, but those hogs found my feeder within 2 days and have been coming ever since. I've even found them sleeping under my feeder waiting for it to go off.

Anyhow, any sow 250 lbs or less, we process and it's damn good eating. On the big boars that we kill over 350 lbs, we drag them out on the edge of our cotton field and shoot Coyote's off of the carcass.

Looks like your Model 12 makes a dandy hog gun. Are you using OO Buck ? I prefer #1 buck myself.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Whewwee some big boars there.

I couldn't agree more that they are hard to pattern.
They seem to have a sixth sense on when a hunter is in the area around here.
I was after a big bruiser easily 300lbs. I walked in as scent clean as a hunter can be and sat motionless for hours before the time the boar was showing up on camera. About 2-3 hours after his -usual- time I would hear a snap deep in the woods he was zig zagging coming in so slow I just mentally said -whatever- I have no idea what is making the noise. I wouldn't hear a sound for 8-10 minutes then pop/a twig would break -then not a sound for several minutes ,then a few steps -then nothing .I wanted to turn my Texas Boars Light that direction and get this episode over with but sat dead still. An hour and a half had went by and now the sound of snapping pine brush was within 75 yards behind me. I heard a few steps then again stop -not a sound -talk about buck fever by now I knew it was him. Model seven 308 in hand ----and the wind turned around 180* of which it was suppose to blow that night -he tore the woods down getting out of there within seconds.
I was burning mad --the wind here near the coast truly blows 360* and AGAIN saved a big hogs life !
Hogs are hunted pretty hard here by our lease members and are very smart -killing hogs isn't a big deal -trophy boars are another story all together.
We have a few members with night vision binos/scopes and big boars still eat our corn at will.

Last edited by ol_mike; 06/09/14.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Went out about 10 to make sure horses hadn't spurng the hog trap. Well they were all milling around the trap and I could hear hogs a-gruntin'. Horses spotted me in the moonlight and came to investigate. Bunch of hogs came out. And I hosed em all Guadacanal style. Got these on ice.

[Linked Image]

Nice Bob!
Lots of good meat there! That little fellow on the right is the size my little Brother just loves to cook whole on a spit and are really tasty! Me, I prefer pork chops & breakfast sausage.

I've got a feeder here on the Ranch on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos that's been in the same spot for 22 years now. We've probably shot well over 200 Hogs at that very spot, as they just keep coming to it. I've seen as many as 40 hogs under it at one time.
Anyhow, there is now a water hole under the feeder that's 3 feet deep and at least 12 feet in diameter from the hogs rooting for corn underneath the feeder. Destructive little bastids, and they are hell on our fences, too.

Long story short, When I first set up that feeder, I would put a couple of boxes of strawberry Jello powder mix in with 300 lbs of corn and sprinkled another box on the ground under the feeder. An old timer told me that trick, and I didn't really believe him, but those hogs found my feeder within 2 days and have been coming ever since. I've even found them sleeping under my feeder waiting for it to go off.

Anyhow, any sow 250 lbs or less, we process and it's damn good eating. On the big boars that we kill over 350 lbs, we drag them out on the edge of our cotton field and shoot Coyote's off of the carcass.

Looks like your Model 12 makes a dandy hog gun. Are you using OO Buck ? I prefer #1 buck myself.

Neal, I got a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag full of 12 ga. buckshot in assorted sizes give to me! So it's whatever got grabbed out of the bag. I think I had a mix of #4's and 000! Whatever it was, it worked.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The pig pipes work pretty good, but a big group of hogs can empty one in a night or two. I shot this guy at one of mine last year.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
M-1 carbines are pure fun! Good on you Justin!!!!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
nailed him!

Down for the count.

Best,

GWB

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember that vid Justin -good shot !

Check out the olive/pickle barrel I mentioned here or in revmike's thread ,put just enough holes in it to disperse a few kernals of corn when you roll it .
In a dry area like Texas well not east or coastal texas -- I bet a big 55 gallon barrel would work out great. Hogs would have to roll it around the clock to get two sacks of corn out of it.
Throw in a couple of packs of strawberry or grape jello mix and they might..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Im gonna have to get one of those rollin' type gadgets. Thats kooool!

GW what cal is you Lil Bavarian Carbine? Ive got one in 6.5 Swede. I love it.

Joseph
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pig pipes are cheap, easy to make, and work.

My Sako BC is chambered for the 308 Winchester.

Best,

GWB

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm not sure what part of this is my favorite - the old M12 or the overalls and expression of a 1930's bootlegger you have on your face. Awesome!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, nice work KW, bet the last thought on those hogs minds that night was catching a load of 'blue whistlers' from an old M-12 Winchester. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well I've always considered myself more of an entrepreneur than a bootlegger. But I can work with that!

Been here on the place over 35 years. Most neighbors don't mess with us. Mostly they are either all hipster city folk moving to a "ranch". Or messkins buying up everything they can. Spoke with the little old neighbor lady ( original folk from here) last night when I went to the back to check on things. She was happy as a lark when I told her of the episode. She sId she heard me shooting and knew I got some pork! They did a number on her yard. I think this weekend some more pork is due on the pit! Mebbe I'll take Miss Mary a ham or something.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I'm not sure what part of this is my favorite - the old M12 or the overalls and expression of a 1930's bootlegger you have on your face. Awesome!

Paradiddle,

I strike an extremely handsome pose.

[Linked Image]

And yes there's generally a model 12 or a model 94 well within reach.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/19/14.

Founder

WS

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Paradiddle,

[Linked Image]

Perfect!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Paradiddle,

[Linked Image]

KW,

good stuff, but.....

be careful, next thing you know some slick hollywood type will be wanting to cast you next to Robert Duval or some pretty young starlet............... put ya' in the movies and make a big star outta ya'

Best,

GWB

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
No worries GW!!!! My Hollywood days are over!!!! Have dealt with their kind before!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like you got "horse sense' otherwise known as stable thinking!

Best,

GWB

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Just walked back to check trap. Got 2 nice eating size shoats and a piglet. Mebbe hogtie piglet for son to stick in his pen. There were about 1/2 dozen other nice eater size hanging around. Corn and strawberry jello. Try to get pics in morning. Gotta go check on my maw.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just walked back to check trap. Got 2 nice eating size shoats and a piglet. Mebbe hogtie piglet for son to stick in his pen. There were about 1/2 dozen other nice eater size hanging around. Corn and strawberry jello. Try to get pics in morning. Gotta go check on my maw.

I told ya that strawberry Jello mix works wonders on Pigs. It's like cocaine to hogs wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (260madman, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.