-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In no other profession/ field do you get such colorful stories. I mean you don't see proctologists saying "This one time". I love the shooting sports.

Adam

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I overheard a guy today at Cabela's telling how he sprayed a brown bear with bear spray at 30 feet and it "knocked the bear out". Wow...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by deerstalker
this one from behind the counter.
Deer hunting on Colorado this nimrod armed with a 30-04 springfield sporter with 180 rem's took his 10 point Mulie at 600 measured yards. said mulie was at a dead run across the slope. " I held on his nose and broke his neck"

Let's see...history of government's 30 cal in bolt-action Mauser clones...30-03: 220rn @ 2200, 30-04: 180 @ 3600, and then they settled on 30-06: 150 @ 2700. I guess they wanted to find the limits of the platform before settling on something effective. I'd not mind getting a 30-04 chamber cut. Makes a magnum bolt face unnecessary! Can you find this guy, Deerstalker?

he is worm food in a cemetery in hanford calif.
actually that 30-04 was a typo....was a 30-06

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yesterday I learned a Christianson Arms rifle with Swaro scope weighs 3lb's "all up."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kenster99
Elmer Keith stated He killed a running buck BEYOND 600 yds with his 44 mag pistol! Never could quite believe that one.

I think most of Elmer's writings were influenced by Some form of cheap bourbon.....

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back in 2000 in the February edition of Handloader Magazine a fellow wrote up a super duper wildcat he developed. I believe he called it a B29. Have to build one one of these days.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jericho
The first ruffed grouse I shot when I was a kid in PA had only one pellet wound, in its head. I have only taken 4 grouse in my
lifetime and two were a double. None of this is BS.

I remember grouse hunting on day with a friend of mine and we jumped a single bird. After the customary 6 shots ( we each carried pumps guns) the bird fluttered to the ground dead, at my last shot...... My friend said, Hey , You got him!!!!!
I went and picked up the bird and it had One pellet in it....... through the chest. I smiled and said, I meant to do that because I hate pellets in breast meat!!!
Even I know I was BSing..... and we laughed....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
In no other profession/ field do you get such colorful stories. I mean you don't see proctologists saying "This one time". I love the shooting sports.

Adam
One spot is worse at B.S stories.... Try going fishing somewhere along the U.S./Canadian border. Be sure there is a good mix of Americans and Canadians and at least some Whiskey... and if the waters contain at least some Muskies, the Bull is DEEP!!!!!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I once asked a proctologist why he picked that specialty. He said he wanted to stop biting his fingernails.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I was reminded a while back of a story told, and claim made by my uncle and his good friend when I was a child and they were in their late 20's, were very much outdoorsmen, and heavy drinkers.
One of them got a 220 Swift, and then proceeded to shoot it at everything he could, extolling its miraculous powers. This went on for years, but one claim stands out: a one-shot kill on a bull elk at 700 yds. That is the story that they spread, that the Swift dropped the elk like lightning at a paced off 700yds. 50 gr factory ammo was used, Remington, IIRC.

There you go. I think about that story once a week or so, and chuckle. What do you have that beats it for outlandish BS?

some of the fellas accusing BS--when it wasn't BS:

back in the late '70's, my old friend Bob S. was doing a plumbing job up in Big Sky.

at the 10 am break, some of the guys went out and sat down for a breather. as they sat there, a yote wandered out of the timber and stood out in the open--about 400 yards distant, and upslope some. the yote quickly split the scene.

when Bob remarked matter of factly that he could have hit the yote at that distance, all the guys immediately cried "BS"!
Bob just shrugged it off...

the next day, at the 10 am break, while some of the guys were taking a breather, one of them said to Bob, "i placed an old lunch box up there on the slope where the yote came out of the timber. you said you could've whacked the yote, prove it to us by shooting that lunch box". Bob spied the black lunch box sitting in the snow.

wordless, Bob went to his truck and retrieved his rifle. he settled into a solid shooting position, and fired.

"there you go", he said. the guy that placed the box on the hill replied, "i took the lunch box up there, so now you should have go get it." Bob quickly hiked up the slope. about 20 feet away, he saw the .22 caliber sized hole, right near the center. he smiled to himself.

as he picked up the lunch box, he saw that it was his. when he got back down to where the guys were, they were all chuckling...

he still has that lunch box today...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hahaha. That's rich. Love it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ab_bentley

Adam

I'm in pharmaceutical sales and I talk to docs every day. You wouldn't believe some of the stories they can tell.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a dog that was so fast he could run the stripes off a coons tail. I seen him make a tunnel in the air that took ten minutes to fill up! He weren't nothing up agin ol' Ricochet, no how. That one he burned up chasin' pheasants. Liketoa burned up halfa South Dakota afor they got him put out. Yep, ol' Ricochet was a goin' concern.

Course, not alla them was fast ones. Had one that was real smart tho. Taught 'im to get the mail all by 'isself. He was so slow he brought the Christmas cards on the Fourth of July, but hey, he was a likable cuss. Used to lay by the stove alot, but he froze to death in July waiting for the heat from last winter to warm him up.

Yep. Good ol' dogs is hard ta come by. I been blessed.

LOL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Probably the EK thread above.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ugh...just heard a doozey...

Coworker: "My ex-girlfriend's daddy had a badazz rifle. It was a .375 H&H Mag...but it was necked down to hold a .30 cal bullet! It would shoot like 8000fps. It was AMAZINGLY fast for a .30 cal. You could sight it in at 200 yards and hit anything holding dead on all the way out to 600 yards or more. And when he shot hawgs with it the hole left was amazing. You could stick both hands in the hole...or your whole arm. He paid, like, $5000 for this rifle. It was a Weatherby special."

What's bad is that I have talked with this guy before and he is sharp...I even showed him how ballistics tables work and how bullets slow and drop over all distances. He was sitting there talking with another coworker and the dumbassery is off the charts. Its like listenting to feedback from two phones that have gotten to close.

"If you shot a deer with that thing it would blow'em in half...you only need guns like that for elephants."

I want to go correct them but I am scared my IQ may take a hit in the process.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Poobah is gonna check the veracity of all these tales. If they aren't true you'll smoke a short turd in Hell.

He told me by PM. My computer starts to smoke every time he sends me a PM.

No chitt,

BD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
PM sent.

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smokin' here boss!

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The greatest BS story I ever read was the reason I started writing. It was a story about head shooting donkeys with a .22 magnum at some 200yds plus.

I wrote the letters column can called BS and totally irresponsible if true and got flamed at being an armchair expert, so my response was to write an article on the .375 H&H which the first article I had published.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one made it to print:
On the '34 trip, I again saw a 7x57 Mauser
fail miserably on mule deer. The president of
KNX's brother-in-law carried this rifle. I for-
got his name. Anyway I got him a shot at an
awful nice buck with a good head at about
250 yards across a gulch. He hit him in the
neck and it took off a vertebra and over an
inch of the spinal cord. The buck dropped
and laid there, and while we were crossing the
gulch he jumped up and took off again. He
hit him again and piled him up, so we got the
buck all right but that 139-grain 7 mm had
failed to do the job. It had cleared the spinal
cord for over an inch and yet it hadn't put
him down to stay. He was able to get up and
run.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.