C
One word, crap.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CraigC
One word, crap.

Explain please.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have shot deer with a 6" 686 using 140 grain and 158 grain JHP's. Though the deer had little reaction other than slumping to the ground in a pace or two the wounds internally were devastating. I plan to shoot one with my Glock 10mm. I use 180 grain XTP's running 1325 at the muzzle. I practice with it to 100 yards so hopefully if I can get within 50 yards it should be a clean kill. Placement is key. I go for the double lung when I can.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago, i cast up some 270gr rcbs scovill bullets which came out at about 281grains. I think it was 8.5 or 9 grains of unique. s&w model 25-5 in 8inch barrel.
I shot clear through a four inch prospectus, bullet burying itself in the ground, which i recovered. It' miked out at over .9 basically flattened out to double it's original size. And that wasn't any super load either. It seems like a trend in some of the gun rags people writing about stuff they really don't have any knowlege or experience with, and more than ever written with an agenda to promote who ever paid for the space in the mag.
I have people now and then tell me the .45colt is obsolete, which shows the degree of ignorance.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That article ought to be written on Charmin so at least it would have some redeeming value.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Without good shot placement even a rifle will fail to give a quick kill.I took a nice white tail buck 2 seasons ago with my 1911 20yrds broadside it went 40 yrds.230 gr xtp loaded warm.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lastround
One word, crap.

Explain please.

It's typical of the BS you read in 'some' magazines. Obviously written by someone who knows very little of hunting with handguns. It's the kind of crap you would've read in a rather pedestrian hunting magazine 30yrs ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whitworth has a grasp on it and says it best. Hard to beat a .44 or .45 Colt. Marginal will be the .357.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, the bigger the hole thru the vitals, the better. That hole is what kills, but I personally like'm big.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lastround
One word, crap.

Explain please.

It's typical of the BS you read in 'some' magazines. Obviously written by someone who knows very little of hunting with handguns. It's the kind of crap you would've read in a rather pedestrian hunting magazine 30yrs ago.

You are dead on. Back in the day, magazines were filled with crap by folks who really just wrote for a living. If ft. lbs. was the only guideline, there would be no bow hunters.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I spent my life shooting guns and all sorts of game big and small. Whenever I shot an animal big or small I considered what was necessary to complete the job in the most effective manner. I didn't read an article on how to, I had shot an HK K-3 in 380 a lot.

Although some may consider the shooting of a deer with a .380, nothing more than a stunt, I did calculate how close I needed to be, then get there and make a killing shot. As simple or complex as it was it takes more than reading an article to shoot any gun well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do not understand at all, CraigC, Whitworth and JWP do not get along with me but all post the right things.
Very strange all agree.
Been years and years that I said ME means nothing but now it is repeated by those that did not agree.
Been very hard to explain a ball round from the 30-06 has ME but does it kill like a Nosler BT?
To even shoot at a deer with a .380 is a stunt with only a brain hit where the stinking little bullet might not reach it. You will not break the spine or kill with a lung shot. That is a stunt and not in the reputable hunter status. I expect the next will be the .25 auto will kill deer.
You can kill with a .22 between the eyes but if you deer hunt with a .22 your ethics do not belong in the field.
Shrapnel might have broken the law. States have limits to to the guns. I am sure a .380 is not legal.
Many of us are not PURE but to wound any animal with stupidity can't be forgiven. Waste is my concern, I could care less what you do to eat.
I am not enamored with a deer kill with a .380. It is an inch from suffering a slow death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Popcorn time now. Here we go............

Doug
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Been years and years that I said ME means nothing but now it is repeated by those that did not agree.

Yep, just another one of those things somebody stole from you, the originator of all truth. Did you come up with TKO too? Did John Taylor steal that from you? cry

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I do not understand at all, CraigC, Whitworth and JWP do not get along with me but all post the right things.
Very strange all agree.
Been very hard to explain a ball round from the 30-06 has ME but does it kill like a Nosler BT?
To even shoot at a deer with a .380 is a stunt with only a brain hit where the stinking little bullet might not reach it. You will not break the spine or kill with a lung shot. That is a stunt and not in the reputable hunter status. I expect the next will be the .25 auto will kill deer.
You can kill with a .22 between the eyes but if you deer hunt with a .22 your ethics do not belong in the field.
Shrapnel might have broken the law. States have limits to to the guns. I am sure a .380 is not legal.
Many of us are not PURE but to wound any animal with stupidity can't be forgiven. Waste is my concern, I could care less what you do to eat.
I am not enamored with a deer kill with a .380. It is an inch from suffering a slow death.

You couldn't do it because you can't shoot a handgun for schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The deer wouldn't tolerate him dragging his shooting bench within range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shrapnel, a picture is worth a thousand words for me. As long as one knows their ability and has the self control to wait for a shot that they feel is within that ability, they have my full endorsement for what may well be considered stunt shooting. In fact, the guys I know who actually do stunt or trick shooting are so practiced with their chosen gear that there is very little left to chance when they squeeze the trigger. .380 deer, .222mag bison? Go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

222 mag for bison, now there is a challenge...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have it to do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'm sure there is a law against shooting into the air too, but if you know how, you can shoot rocks out of the air...

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.