Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RWE

This changes the whole issue, because reloading 9mm ain't cheap. Nor available in bulk for a decent price.

Reloading for the 9 is extremely cheap if you cast your own bullets.

I was bullshitting.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think you are right and I would carry a pocket sized pistol along with my 1911 if I had one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The operative word in the original question about 9mm or 45 was 'concealed carry'. The number of rounds will be determined by what can be 'concealed'. In my case that happens to be a Kahr MK9 9mm. I am 6'1 and around 290lbs. I live in southern Arizona and my normal dress is basically what I have on right now - a pair of jeans bermuda shorts and a knit pullover shirt. My Kahr Mk9 fits neatly in my right front pocket and is fully concealed. I have found no way to conceal anything much larger anywhere on my person that was in the least comfortable. I have many other handguns of larger caliber but have found with the way I normally dress there is no comfortable way to carry them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as work policy goes, I am the president of the company, the vice president calls me Dad and he shoots a 1911. We will NOT have silly rules about not carrying at work. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Has anybody been watching the reports about the recent shooting @ FSU?

The whole library sheltered in place and "Tweeted" updates. Lots of them wrote farewell letters to their family.

#Vaginas. #Buyafugginggun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
been thinking hard on this-maybe to hard, but would you rather have 10 rounds of 45 ACP or 16 rounds of 9mm in a conceal carry weapon?

If you think you might need 16 rounds of 9mm carry a 12 bore shotgun instead.

If you think you might need 10 rounds of .45 ACP, carry a 20 gauge shotgun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Has anybody been watching the reports about the recent shooting @ FSU?

The whole library sheltered in place and "Tweeted" updates. Lots of them wrote farewell letters to their family.

#Vaginas. #Buyafugginggun.

From another forum.

Travis

This from another forum.

So saw some news on the FSU shooter. His name was released by a confidential informant. Now all of a sudden there is a right to privacy for some people who go off the rails and shoot things up. I'm pretty sure I understand why.

Scroll down for Myron May, the shooter: http://www.aacsf.org/recipients.htm

-Graduate of Texas Tech University School of Law 2009
-Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
-Rocky Mountain Region Chairman of the National Black Law Students Association
-Texas Tech Law Review
-Texas Tech Board of Regents Scholar Graduate of Florida State University Alum 2005

[Linked Image]

Apparently he was a good kid, the best ever. I swear I have never had a tinfoil hat on but this cat cannot be for real. Speech tonight on unconstitutional executive action will get buried behind this, Ferguson verdict, any anything else they can think of in the next few hours. It does appear that team Barry is going all in. The next two years are going to push this country to the edge.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife says all my skills are gross. I kind of like that.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE carrying hardball vs whatever....

I am very different than lots of folks.

For that reason I carry a 45 because I like it, and can carry it. And in a few bullseye sports actually shot the 45 slightly better than the 9mm due to differing TYPES of recoil.

Me... 45. ammo.. Whatever happens to be in the mags that I grab on the way out the door. Might be HP. Might even be a few full of the old black talon. MIght be hardball. Might be my reloads with cast bullets.

Bottom line its going to be shot placement anyway. Though you can't count out a bullet that starts larger unexpanded than another.

With all that said..... I"d carry the wifes NAA 22 LR that she packs for snakes around the yard, I"d carry it long before carrying nothing.

I have shot some game with 45. With a few different bullets. I have not shot anything other than paper with the 9mm.
I was not impressed with reaction to being hit with a 45 by pigs or deer, though all died and in a reasonable amount of time, none were DRT.

I fail to see that a 9mm would impress me more. BUT I could be wrong.

Carry what you have. That you like. That you shoot WELL or better than WELL, and practice with. Have your mental skills in order better than your gun skills. All will work out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it that some people feel they have to justify their cartridge choice over, and over, and over again?

Is it a sense of superiority or insecurity brought on by some sense of inferiority?

The FBI is switching back to 9mm, and in the past 25 years the FBI has taken a very scientific, measured approach to their cartridge/load selection. They trust the data.

Most of the time I carry a .45 ACP, not because I feel it gives me any sort of edge, but because I love the gun I carry; it meets all of my personal needs.

But there are times I'm carrying a .38 Special or a 9mm. I personally (and this is just me) never feel any less armed because my cartridge has changed. But there are times where I feel less armed because the gun has changed. Like when I'm carrying a J or D frame .38 Special. Modern .38 Special +P is well proven, I know it will do the job. But when I go from full sized auto to tiny revolver my confidence goes down just because the small frame revolvers are so much more difficult to shoot well. I can hit a man sized target out to 100 yards with my J & D frames, but I realize that it takes FAR more concentration to do so with a snubbie than it takes with the auto.

What I'm getting at is, it's not the cartridge I worry about. It's really not so much the gun I worry about. What I worry about it that loose nut behind the trigger. That is, and always will be THE most significant factor.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wouldn't either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trolling? why, because I asked what *I* thought? (and that's really all that matters). Not linear? do you have a reference to back that up? I really DGAF, but I do wonder why the USMC opted to return to the 45...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Trolling? why, because I asked what *I* thought? (and that's really all that matters). Not linear? do you have a reference to back that up? I really DGAF, but I do wonder why the USMC opted to return to the 45...

USMC shoots hardball, not modern hollow points.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
duh. It still makes sense, even to the most elemental among us, that if one is admittedly superior to the other with one type of ammunition (ball), then it makes logical sense the difference would remain constant with HP ammo and not just enhance one.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
duh. It still makes sense, even to the most elemental among us, that if one is admittedly superior to the other with one type of ammunition (ball), then it makes logical sense the difference would remain constant with HP ammo and not just enhance one.

Your thinking is linear, where this problem is better addressed with Calculus. Velocity effect expansion characteristics. The higher velocity 9mm gains more from modern bullets then the slower .45. Throw in the second variable, magazine size, and old fashioned linear reasoning may not be up to the task.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I think the fact that you can put lead in the air will deter about 99.9% of the schit that is gonna happen to you. The other 0.01% you just need to be a good shot. At the end of the day it isn't about killing the other guy or not it is about you walking away with your life.
Well said.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I can hit a man sized target out to 100 yards with my J & D frames, but I realize that it takes FAR more concentration to do so with a snubbie than it takes with the auto.
You need a hand-filling K-Frame .38 Special.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Your thinking is linear, where this problem is better addressed with Calculus. Velocity effect expansion characteristics. The higher velocity 9mm gains more from modern bullets then the slower .45. Throw in the second variable, magazine size, and old fashioned linear reasoning may not be up to the task.

Hey you're pretty good; that's right. (not being a smart arse, few actually pick up on that)

B U T - Even though the benefits of JHP are greater for the 9mm than the .45 ACP, the end diameter of .45 ACP still tends to be .65-.70 diameter, whereas your average 9mm JHP rarely makes it to .60 (my direct observations of doing actual ballistic testing with Knox & Kind ballistic gelatin, several pistols in multiple calibers and at least 6 different loads for each caliber). So even though the increase in size is greater with the 9mm, the end diameter is still larger with the .45 ACP.

Now to something relevant...Does it matter?
All evidence points to the fact that the end result of wound cavities and people shot on the street that the two rounds are essentially indistinguishable. With that larger frontal diameter, the .45 ACP tends to penetrate less, and the smaller/faster 9mm tends to penetrate more. Actual tissue destroyed tends to be close enough to the same that I've yet to see any convincing data to suggest what tiny difference actually matters on a live target.

It's just like those people who try to tell you a .30-06 is "so much better" than a .270...hogwash!!

If a guy only feels warm and fuzzy with a .45 ACP, who cares? Let him shoot the .45 ACP and be done with it.

If some guy says he'll only walk the streets with 15 or more rounds per magazine because he thinks he will take on the entire Sinaloa cartel, who cares (unless he misses with all 15 rounds), take your 9mm and be happy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I could actually see the extra speed of the 9 coming into play...

But couldn't we get tehre with 165ish 45 bullets and still have a wider bullet to start with... and then it expands and gives and temporary wound cavity(which I"ve always doubted really exists with almost all handgun rounds)

Kevin, if we didn't justify our rounds, there would be nothign to talk about...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rost495
I could actually see the extra speed of the 9 coming into play...

But couldn't we get there with 165ish 45 bullets and still have a wider bullet to start with... and then it expands and gives and temporary wound cavity.
Now you've lost sectional density. There's no free lunch.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.