-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An outdoors laboratory with a multitude of variables is not the best place to come to an absolute conclusion. The only exception is if you convinced a .gov to give you grant money to study the impossible.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
An outdoors laboratory with a multitude of variables is not the best place to come to an absolute conclusion.

My new best friend...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by BobinNH
deflave: "Faster death" is an elusive standard, and hard to prove... smile

Death of game animals is sometimes an elusive thing and hard to replicate precisely one shot to the next...we don't get to "kill" the same animal several times to prove a point since no two shots are ever precisely the same.What we can hope for is to see a general trend....unless of course you are a cull hunter in Oz or Africa but few of us get to do that sort of thing.

JWP called me this morning to remind me of this,and said maybe a better way of looking at this is as creating more cavitation,more extensive wounding....which
sometimes leads to faster death...at least as far as BG is concerned.

It may be helpful to look at the whole twist and terminal performance thing as a "contributing factor" rather than "sole cause"....but lots of people have noticed it over the years,as far back as John Jobson, who observed it and wrote about it 3-4 decades ago.

This my way of saying I agree with you BTW. smile

Speaking of Oz, don't listen to the man behind the curtain...

Schrapnel, I never have... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John Jobson- He is an old one but a good one!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

From another post on the Campfire...

Originally Posted by Stump Buster
I just finished W.D.M. Bell's "The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" and in the chapter on "Rifles", he writes...

�The thing that did the most for my rifle shooting was, I believe, the fact that I always carried my own rifle. Constant handling, constant aiming, constant Swedish drill with it, and then when it was required there it was ready and pointing true. Never once did I think I needed a rifle with fast twist�

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

From another post on the Campfire...

I just finished W.D.M. Bell's "The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" and in the chapter on "Rifles", he writes...

�The thing that did the most for my rifle shooting was, I believe, the fact that I always carried my own rifle. Constant handling, constant aiming, constant Swedish drill with it, and then when it was required there it was ready and pointing true. Never once did I think I needed a rifle with fast twist�

I believe this is the acctual quote

�The thing that did the most for my rifle shooting was, I believe, the fact that I always carried my own rifle. Constant handling, constant aiming, constant Swedish drill with it, and then when it was required there it was ready and pointing true.�

Does anyone know what the "Swedish Drill" consists of? Is it the transition from a slung rifle into to shooting position or something entirely different. I don't recall Bell ever mentioning slings on his rifles, so I think he may be referring to something else.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with this term.

THANKS,

Stump

PS - The book is excellent! Took me a while to find it, but glad I was able to finally track it down.

[b][/b]

Doesn't mention twist.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

So, what's your point?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm sure you wouldn't want inaccurate info to become perception.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I can't help if the original post wasn't complete...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never see anything "lift" or "splode" rabbits better than a 308 shooting 150g Core Lokts. All from a 1-12 twist.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
O.K. But I want my sweater back...

I guess that beats multiple legholds and the pellet gun treatment.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An outdoors laboratory with a multitude of variables is not the best place to come to an absolute conclusion. The only exception is if you convinced a .gov to give you grant money to study the impossible.

I'm pretty sure people can observe reality without a laboratory.

But there will always be a handful of people that insist there is no difference in 200fps, and there will always be a handful of people that insist plastic tip bullets "don't do anything different" and there will always be a handful of people that need a pack of PhD's and a laboratory to see the advantages of a faster twist.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I've never see anything "lift" or "splode" rabbits better than a 308 shooting 150g Core Lokts. All from a 1-12 twist.

Man that sucks.

Travis

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Can you see out that eye yet?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

Man that sucks.

Travis

Yeah I know. On a Mauser action and all. But I make do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was quite young perhaps 8 years old, I saw a cotton tail hit with a 125 grain bullet out of an 06 at about across the ditch range. Afterwards the rabbit's intestines were hanging from the power line over head and a red cloud where the rabbit used to be. Very impressive for a youngster. Couldn't wait till I got my 06.

Regrading slow twist vs. fast twist: The effect might be that a slow twist with barely stable bullet may tumble when changes of medium and a fast twist might not. But as stated the bullet rotates how many times through an animal??

Or looked at another way, Say the bullet is about to blow up like a sx bullet out of a 22-250. And it hits the target....

Last edited by Bugger; 12/10/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yeah I know. On a Mauser action and all. But I make do.

I'm sure you'll find a job sooner or later.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bugger

Regrading slow twist vs. fast twist: The effect might be that a slow twist with barely stable bullet may tumble when changes of medium and a fast twist might not. But as stated the bullet rotates how many times through an animal??

That's for nerds to figure out.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm pretty sure people can observe reality without a laboratory.

But there will always be a handful of people that insist there is no difference in 200fps, and there will always be a handful of people that insist plastic tip bullets "don't do anything different" and there will always be a handful of people that need a pack of PhD's and a laboratory to see the advantages of a faster twist.

Travis

That is not a good way to start out trying to make a point. "pretty sure" - Guessing won't cut it.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That is not a good way to start out trying to make a point. "pretty sure" - Guessing won't cut it.

Cuts it just fine from where I sit.

I have all the tools needed to acquire the empirical data. All you've got is jack+schit.

Travis

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (204guy, 260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.