Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
It's too bad this officer didn't have a computer keyboard to protect himself from a hammer wielding mad man.

Too bad you don't have a computer keypad to make a contructive comment...

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I am not going to read the whole thread, but I opened it expecting to read about some new kind of hammer with which you can shoot people. I want one.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I applied my own "reasonable" clause to the situation.

If the decedent would have approached me with the sledgehammer in the fashion he did, I would have shot him.

As people here have insisted police be given no more or less consideration than John Q, I would have to conclude that the cop should have shot him as well.

Next.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd have shot him.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without a doubt.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by curdog4570
" The fact that people ONLY die when they fight with police after or during the commission of another crime seems to be totally irrelevant."

The libs ain't got nothing on you when it comes to lying to promote an agenda. There are plenty of instances of completely innocent people being killed by cops.

Really?

Then it should be easy for you to list a dozen confrontations between a Peace Officer and a weapon wielding assailant and let the board members decide if the Peace Officers used unnecessary deadly force in defense of their own life, or an innocent 3rd person's life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Pete E
Just curious, but will the cop be required to justify not using his TASER first?

A hammer easily fits the description of deadly weapon.

I would be shocked to learn that any L.E. jurisdiction required or suggested the use of less than lethal weapons for an agent facing an attacker with a deadly weapon.

It really would depend on the circumstances..In this case, *if* the Officer was stood one side of the vehicle and the offender was the other side, there would not be much immediate threat from an impact weapon so a taser (if available) might have been more appropriate..
At the end of the day, the Police should not be using the self- defence/threat to their life clause as a legal loop hole to enable them to use lethal force at the drop of a hat. Putting the facts before a Grand Jury would hold them accountable to ensure that does not happen, and also it would ensure that the whole process is transparent and hopefully beyond reproach.

At the end of my day, folks ought to avoid attacking others with hammers.
Or, failing that, expect to be shot...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
" The fact that people ONLY die when they fight with police after or during the commission of another crime seems to be totally irrelevant."

The libs ain't got nothing on you when it comes to lying to promote an agenda. There are plenty of instances of completely innocent people being killed by cops.

Really?

Then it should be easy for you to list a dozen confrontations between a Peace Officer and a weapon wielding assailant and let the board members decide if the Peace Officers used unnecessary deadly force in defense of their own life, or an innocent 3rd person's life.

Boneheaded response.

A "weapon wielding assailant" doesn't rhyme with "completely innocent", now does it?

As far as "the board members", seems like most of you cops have determined that THIS cop was justified [surprise, surprise], a few non-cops think that given the circumstances, he should not have feared for his life, and a couple of us think a Grand Jury should decide.

Glad to have you back posting, Barney.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every death caused by another (homicide) in the State of Texas goes before a Grand Jury. Other States may, or may not, do the same. I don't think anybody said "He was justified.", although they may have. There is a lot more information out there than can be gleaned from from a news article. There always is. I know what I said...if I get after you with my hog maul you would be justified.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have reason to believe that the FIVE posts grouped with mine were made by LEO's. Without exception, they justify the shooting based on the info in this thread.

No....... you are not in that group.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just want one of these hammers that you can shoot people with. This thread fails to deliver.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wonder how many of the police critics would like to be put in the situations faced by officers. Forced to defend their life then second guessed and forced to defend their actions. Monday morning quarterbacks and armchair commandos who have never tried to control a violent resisting perp ought to give it a try. Come at me with a hammer you may get one drop the weapon if you are not too close. This war against police needs to stop.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'd have shot him.

Ditto

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pashooter
I wonder how many of the police critics would like to be put in the situations faced by officers. Forced to defend their life then second guessed and forced to defend their actions. Monday morning quarterbacks and armchair commandos who have never tried to control a violent resisting perp ought to give it a try. Come at me with a hammer you may get one drop the weapon if you are not too close. This war against police needs to stop.

The critics expect police to be/act superhuman in such instance. They, the critics, would certainly shoot anybody attacking them with a hammer, but they'd be justified because they're not wearing a badge which is supposed to give a man/woman superhuman powers of survival, decision making, and give them courage to stupidly risk their own lives to save that of someone attacking them. They also seem to forget that an officer has a duty to perform certain tasks that the average citizen can choose to shrink from. The officer is charged not only with protecting himself, but others, AND ultimately has to take in to custody those that threaten either. The average citizen can simply choose retreat, and has no duty (normally) to protect anybody but themselves.

Of course the foregoing will be misconstrued by some to mean I'm giving blanket defense and alibi to all officers and their actions, since that stance best serves their agenda, like making the idiotic statement "that many completely innocent people are killed by police officers."

Last edited by .280Rem; 12/18/14.

War Damn Eagle!

M
M
I don't care if a person gets shot in these situations, they had MANY opportunities to avoid that result even long before the cops arrived. Due to their bad decision process (repeated over and over) a cop was forced to make an emergency decision.

Hunting is where you prove yourself
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMulhern

Thanks! LMAO!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Really?

Boneheaded response.

A "weapon wielding assailant" doesn't rhyme with "completely innocent", now does it?

As far as "the board members", seems like most of you cops have determined that THIS cop was justified [surprise, surprise], a few non-cops think that given the circumstances, he should not have feared for his life, and a couple of us think a Grand Jury should decide.

Glad to have you back posting, Barney.

OK, point taken. Please link us to say...a dozen media accounts of "innocent people" being murdered by a Peace Officer.

I anxiously await your reply.

Not.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OrangeOkie: I agree with you 100% - NICE shooting there "police officer!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guy was mentally ill. The police knew the guy was mentally ill before they ever showed up on the scene. If I had a gun on a mentally ill person and they were approaching me with a hammer, I'd back away...even run away if necessary, to at least try and keep from killing the man. Norman Police officers also have tasers...I've pulled plenty of taser barbs out of people who the Norman Police brought into the ER to have em' removed.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers
The guy was mentally ill. The police knew the guy was mentally ill before they ever showed up on the scene. If I had a gun on a mentally ill person and they were approaching me with a hammer, I'd back away...even run away if necessary, to at least try and keep from killing the man. Norman Police officers also have tasers...I've pulled plenty of taser barbs out of people who the Norman Police brought into the ER to have em' removed.

No.

The Peace Officer is also responsible for protecting the innocent people who might be in the area from the deranged individual. Backing away was not an option. He had to stop the guy before he had his head crushed or the EDP turned on someone else. Tasers don't always work; they're especially ineffective against the EDPs. I was tasered annually as part of my certification to carry one on duty. If you tasered me and believed the fight was over you'd have made a fatal mistake.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,809
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.