G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by ltppowell
They just want to help people, catch bad guys or in the case of the narcissists...have power. We know the public is largely supportive of us and that the dickheads who don't are in the super minority.

But lurking on the roads and writing traffic tickets to commuters isn't helping people or catching bad guys. It's simply generating revenue for the government. Expired plates, no seat belt, 10 mph over the speed limit, etc.. If cops came across to working people/taxpayers as simply wanting to help people and catch bad guys, I think a lot of the public perception of cops from those folks in particular would be way more positive than it is.

And do you have any idea just how many "big" cases come from simple traffic stops?
I've recovered stolen firearms, made countless narcotics and DUI arrests, not to mention warrant arrests. Hell we picked up a guy wanted for murder in Ca on a traffic stop

Then if you stop somebody on a simple traffic stop, and it's not a 'big' case...and you don't recover stolen firearms, and you don't make a narcotic or DUI arrest, and you don't pick up a guy wanted for murder...then why don't ya' just let em' go without writing them a ticket...?

Generally I do...I haven't written a ticket in 6 months. And that was the first one in over a year, aside from tickets that resulted in arrests

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You proved my point by being the exception.

I'm bettin' you don't jack people up or arrest them on bogus charges, and part of that just might be due to your time on the receiving end.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Curdog your ignorance is constantly on display. If you think cops are immune to mistreatment by other cops you have never worked under some of the superiors and politicians that real cops are forced to have as "leadership".

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then if you stop somebody on a simple traffic stop, and it's not a 'big' case...and you don't recover stolen firearms, and you don't make a narcotic or DUI arrest, and you don't pick up a guy wanted for murder...then why don't ya' just let em' go without writing them a ticket...?

Generally I do...I haven't written a ticket in 6 months. And that was the first one in over a year, aside from tickets that resulted in arrests

Good for you brother. Seriously. I wish more of em' were like you in those regards.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Curdog your ignorance is constantly on display. If you think cops are immune to mistreatment by other cops you have never worked under some of the superiors and politicians that real cops are forced to have as "leadership".

mike r

Look, Little Mikey, this makes twice you've responded to a post I've made, and both times your response misses the point of my post entirely.

And both times, you've called ME ignorant.

There are some grown-up cops participating on this thread.

Your reading comprehension score won't be nearly as low if you'll just go off and play with Derby Dude.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by viking
A lot of bad guys are caught from traffic stops, as are drugs. Sometimes even shoot outs and tussles are generated from traffic stops.

Merry Christmas and a Happy GFY.

I hated writing traffic tickets and doing accident reports but some things have to be done to keep some semblance of order and prove to the Lt's you weren't just chasing the girls or hanging out at the Kwik Trip. But, with some diligence a lot of interesting and exciting things come from a simple traffic stop.
kwg

Yep, keeping civilians in line is all that matters as shown here:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/tab-for-wrongful-convictions-in-texas-65-million-a/nWLQM/

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll bet the majority of cops are. Hell I got stopped last week. I was in a hurry and had a rental car. Not paying attention and was definitely going like hell. Saw the flashing lights, pulled over turned the interior light on, placed my hands on the steering wheel until the officer walked up. He said hello "I said I was probably going a bit to fast, i'm sorry. I have to work later tonight and just wasn't paying attention". Hsi response to me was thank you for your honesty, you just set the tone for how this interaction is going to go. He asked for my license and reg. I said sir This is a rental i'm not sure there is a registration but i'll look(there was) then I said Sir, I have a pistol permit and am carrying, it's on my right hip, my wallet is in my right back pocket i'm going to reach back and get my wallet I just want you to be aware of the firearm. He said thank you for being honest. I handed him my licnese and asked him how much the fine would be. He said nonticket, just a warning and thanked me for being polite and responding the way I did....but that's about how every encounter with LE i've had had gone...

The flip side is the entire hob scope of some cops is to enforce traffic laws, and the most objective way to do that is to write everyone you stop. You can't hold it a gainst the man for doing his job.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's kinda what I do, but it doesn't always work. I got stopped just turning on to I10 from Tallahassee in a rental that I had to bring back from Miami. I was speeding. I asked the trooper if I was stopped for my [bleep] driving or if it was an interdiction stop. (hint,hint) I guess he was one of those nerds I mentioned earlier...I got the ticket. (And yes, I was working.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pat unless i'm out of state or around my Geographical area of Employment, I don't even carry my badge. I try not to wven hint at what I do. I've had to answer to the chief for a couple tickets. One really stupid one was I got checked by USFWS. And had forgotten to sign my duck stamp.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Curdog, little mikey here.If you don't want to be regarded as ignorant upgrade the quality of your spiel. The reality you have problems recognizing is that w/out the "rough men" on the walls you, and those like you, would be subject to having the cannibals making your nutsacks into very small purses.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started at 22. By that time I had built and owned my own house and was married and had a son. With five years of industrial construction experience behind me.

Age can help, college can help, but that doesn't hardly tell the whole story of a person's life or attitude or ability.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The flip side is the entire job scope of some cops is to enforce traffic laws, and the most objective way to do that is to write everyone you stop. You can't hold it against the man for doing his job.

Those guys in particular are pricks and a$$holes. If you can do your job without being that way, then so can they. They're not helping people or catching bad guys. And those types deserve whatever hell the working public/taxpayers give em'. They 'choose' to be that way...and we can 'choose' to hold it against them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was hired at 20. Out of college, had put myself theough the academy and worked full time running heavy equipment.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The flip side is the entire job scope of some cops is to enforce traffic laws, and the most objective way to do that is to write everyone you stop. You can't hold it against the man for doing his job.

Those guys in particular are pricks and a$$holes. If you can do your job without being that way, then so can they. They're not helping people or catching bad guys. And those types deserve whatever hell the working public/taxpayers give em'. They 'choose' to be that way...and we can 'choose' to hold it against them.

They are a prick and an azzhole just because they wrote you a ticket?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've felt that way for every ticket I've ever had.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yep.

So then you must have been a prick and an azzhole that did something to warrant the ticket. Otherwise you just wouldn't have been stopped

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The flip side is the entire job scope of some cops is to enforce traffic laws, and the most objective way to do that is to write everyone you stop.

Actually, you clarified them being pricks and a$$holes by your objective statement above. That's a whole different job scope than helping people and catching bad guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep.

So then you must have been a prick and an azzhole that did something to warrant the ticket. Otherwise you just wouldn't have been stopped

Yeah, those 'big crimes' like expired plate, no seatbelt, 10 mph over the speed limit, etc.. Real prick and a$$hole stuff. Real bad guy stuff.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just because someone is doing their job does not make them a prick or an azzhole

I know troopers who work traffic and have one of the above "traffic" jobs. They write everybody they stop. But you've really fugged up if they stop you. One i know won't stop for a speed less than 70 in a 55 and 80 in a 65...

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.