Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 29 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 28 29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thirdbite,

By your reckoning, how many years has it been since the flood

Abraham was born about 250 years after the Flood. He is considered, more or less, to be a modern figure; as far as world history goes. I think we can date him about 2,000 to maybe 2,100 years ago. That puts the Flood about 4,300 years ago.

and how long since the lifespan was 900 years?

Noah was 600 years old when the Flood hit and he lived another 350 years. He was the last of the 900 year olds. According to the book Genetic Entropy and the Mystery of to Genome, written by a guy who was an evolutionist and taught the graduate students at Cornell University for twenty-five years and has seventy patents on gene splicing, wrote the exponential decay rate of human ages, recorded in
Genesis 11 matches the accumulation rate of human mutations.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thirdbite if and as Scripture says that one day is like 1000 unto the L*rd and a 1000 days is like a single one

This was not addressed to me, but I figure I will answer it anyway. It says something like a day with the Lord is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day. The quote comes from Saint Peter and refers to God's patience waiting for us to turn to Him.

In the Psalms God tells us a thousand years to Him is like a watch in the night. In other words He is not locked into time like we are.

Some confused folks try to shoe horn Genesis' creation narrative into Saint Peter's encouragement about God's patience. God, Who is the Creator, established what a day is on Day One. He said, "There was evening and morning, Day One. Every time evening and morning used with a numerical modifier shows up in the Old Testament it refers to......one day! Why would it be any different in the place where a day is established? God told us in That First Chaper the sun and moon and stars are for "days and years and signs and seasons."

If someone doesn't believe it, why don't they just reject it up front and move on? I don't understand why they try to change it.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What am I missing? 2,100 plus 250 doesn't equal 4,300. How long did the flood last?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thin_man,

But somehow he can write on a wall. Go figure?

Do you have any idea how heavy a book written with letters that large would be? crazy

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

What miracles specifically are you speaking of? Performed today?

You can hear about them from credible people and sometimes see them if you run in the right circles. They aren't usually on CNN though.

If god truly knows our every thought and numbers the hairs on our head, he'd know how many have searched for him and come up empty. He'd know exactly how to convince the mind of that person. Yet he doesn't.

I don't have all the answers, but I want my children to love me all on their own,not because I make them.I think God wants us to desire him enough to seek him out,seek him with our whole heart. When I've done that, God has made himself known to me in a wonderful and convincing way.

Sorry. I don't see anything out of context there. I can see how some would read that and want to have "faith" that the lord will protect them from these things. Not surprisingly, christians die of snake bites & poisoning too. With or without them going looking for it.

Yes they do, as I already said ,I don't have all the answers but I also have heard many astounding things from people that I believe concerning God protecting them. Maybe those scriptures speak more of our battle against evil as I've heard before and are more figurative than literal. I can't say for sure as I've not studied them in depth from the original languages with the mind set of the time period. For me however they are no less true because some Christian has died from snakebite.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thin_man,

Why do you think god performed miracles for the masses when he was on earth? They had no faith and therefore aren't saved? Do you feel we (the human race) are condemned because of it

God says Jews, the people to whom he appeared, seek signs and Gentiles (mostly you and me) seek for wisdom. Gentile Christian's searchings sorta established science and took us out of the Dark Ages.

Here's an unfun thought. Dispite showing them signs, including raising at least four people from the dead including Himself, many did not believe. Here's another unfun thought. Dispite modern scientific discoveries showing how finely tuned the universe is and how complex a cell is, most Gentiles don't believe.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I want my children to love me all on their own,not because I make them.
As you well know, you can't MAKE someone love you or even respect you. You can prove you exist.
You however have a big advantage over your god as you are very real and present for your children.

I don't have all the answers

I don't have all the answers

That will suffice sir. Thanks for your honesty & thank you for your time.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by BarryC

According to that line of thought, God commits murder every day. After all, people die every day, right?

Totally vacuous and lazy.

Never said that at all..

However you slice it, the Bible recounts numerous instances of God committing what amounts to Genocide..If you believe the Bible, and worship God, all you can really do is attempt to offer justification for that Genocide..

No problem.

Just like the guy that gives me a job can take it away, the one who gives life is also entitled to take it away. Life is a gift, not an entitlement.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

According to that line of thought, God commits murder every day. After all, people die every day, right?

Never said that at all..

However you slice it, the Bible recounts numerous instances of God committing what amounts to Genocide..If you believe the Bible, and worship God, all you can really do is attempt to offer justification for that Genocide..

No problem.

Just like the guy that gives me a job can take it away, the one who gives life is also entitled to take it away. Life is a gift, not an entitlement.

By that reasoning it is morally acceptable for you to murder you own kids.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem.

You are certainly special. The dad and mom don't give life. They merely pass on genetics. That's why when their number of days is up, they can't keep on living.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Never said that at all..

No problem.

AS,

Nah, not at all. Equating God creating Man to a human father/mother procreation is not what he meant. Pretty obvious.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Additional thought:

Imagine a gardener. He tills the soil, he plants the seeds as cares to, he waters and tends to that garden. It is his garden. He has the right to into the garden and manage as he sees fit. He may pull weeds, he may thin some areas, he may tear out what is no longer desired and put something else in, he may replant, he may harvest. It is his garden and it is right for him to do these things.

It is not right for someone else to come in to his garden and take or destroy. Not the intruder's garden.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Additional thought:

Imagine a gardener. He tills the soil, he plants the seeds as cares to, he waters and tends to that garden. It is his garden. He has the right to into the garden and manage as he sees fit. He may pull weeds, he may thin some areas, he may tear out what is no longer desired and put something else in, he may replant, he may harvest. It is his garden and it is right for him to do these things.

It is not right for someone else to come in to his garden and take or destroy. Not the intruder's garden.

We are not talking about plants. We are talking about human beings, so your example is not morally equivalent. It's interesting how you didn't like my parent analogy, but somehow you think you gardener analogy would hold.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If you are a Christian and the serpent (Satan) which can take your life FOREVER bites you, you will not die (His definition of death, not ours).

The death of the flesh we fear is of no consequince to Him. His concern is that we not REALLY DIE, the death He can not save one from, well, at least not and be just.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/26/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

We are not talking about plants. We are talking about human beings, so your example is not morally equivalent. It's interesting how you didn't like my parent analogy, but somehow you think you gardener analogy would hold.

You don't get it. You are not God. There is a larger gap between the plants and you and you and God. You are closer to the plants by a universe.

But if you evolved, it is fine for you to kill kids. Lions kill the cubs of other males if they get a chance. Bears kill cubs and even eat them. Morality cannot be justified in an evoloving world. Why? Well, who decides what's moral? The guy with the most followers or the biggest gun? Who?

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Additional thought:

I look at things a little differently my friend. What I see is that much of how God has dealt with us is our own fault. I even see the flood as an act of grace and kindness. There is evidence when languages are studied in depth to believe that God allowed the flood to save mankind from what would have otherwise been total destruction of the human race. Remember that Noah warned the people for 100 years.

Even when dealing with his own Covenant people,God did not want to judge harshly and did not until the people demanded law. God wanted to deal directly with his people but they instructed Moses to speak with God instead and boastfully declared that whatever God said to do, they would do. At that point God gave man the law, not to teach them how to live and punish them when they failed, but to show them that they couldn't attain righteousness on their own.

At that point God was obligated to uphold the law, but even then God created the levitical priesthood to give man a way to avoid punishment and wrath. All those sacrifices were only a shadow of the true way and sacrifice to come through Jesus. You see, God has never wanted wrath for man. God wanted mercy so much for man that he gave his only son to die for us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God allowed the flood to save mankind

God allowed!?

Genesis6:13
"Then God said to Noah, 'The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth.'"

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Read it in the original language and then get back to me.

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Additional thought:

We are not talking about plants. We are talking about human beings, so your example is not morally equivalent.'s interesting how you didn't like my parent analogy, but somehow you think you gardener analogy would hold.

AS,

Sorry, it slipped by you and that is not your fault. GOD is the gardener, we are HIS garden, HIS creation. We are created by HIM and he is sovereign. I know that is a tough thing for an atheist to stomach but that is the way it is. God is sovereign and you are not. Goes against the grain doesn't it?

TF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its time to crucify this thread and roll the stone over the tomb.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Page 16 of 29 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.