Home
Posted By: shrapnel Travis And His First Elk - 11/15/14

Travis endured over 300 miles of icy roads to get here to go to my secret elk hunting spot. Megan road in the back of the Toyota with Pepper and Patton, so the dog could stay warm in the cab with Travis.

The idea was to use Travis's truck instead of mine to keep from abusing the privilege of the secret spot and getting my truck all bloody with his elk.

We saw elk at first light and I sent them on their way to the ridge where the elk were. He had his disgusting yellow stocked GFY 7mm-08 and a heavy Randall knife. I told him to take my 300 WBY and let Patton carry his GFY, but you can't tell Travis anything.

They got to the ridge where there were no less than 100 elk and followed them West as the elk slowly made their way in that direction. I could see both the elk and Travis with the spotter and watched him sneak within 80 yards more than once.

I never heard a shot, never saw an elk drop and eventually watched all the elk disappear into the timber. I got pictures of the ridge through my spotter and the Nikon Coolpix camera.

When he got back to the truck, he told me about his "gun malfunction" and how we could have taken my truck as there wasn't going to be any blood. Maybe tomorrow, we go to another secret spot called "Bob's Place." I can't wait to see what happens this time...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/15/14
Shoulda had an 8x57 Mauser. Wasn't Ben along to show him how to do it?
Best of luck tomorrow!!!!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14

Elk were every where...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Shoulda had an 8x57 Mauser. Wasn't Ben along to show him how to do it?

I was on the alternate guest list... grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Typical Shrapnel organization. He's a nice guy and very generous (especially when it comes to Coca-Cola and advising people to use plastic-tipped bullets), but he could screw up super-sizing a McDonald's order. He's even made ME forget my ammo....
If ONLY they had used a 7x57 Featherweight.... cry
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
So what exactly was the nature of this "malfunction"? I'm sure Travis will be along shortly to fill us in on the details, but in meantime you could tell the story...and you know what they say about the truth getting in the way of a good story...
They're back at them this morning...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Duh......
Too much headspace for 7-08 ammo.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
I bet he forgot where the trigger was.
Posted By: aheider Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Couldn't find the gun in the yellow snow.
Well even though we get strong attachments to our firearms and give them endearing terms to describe their performance capabilities they are in fact still mechanical objects and can fail. Not the case this time though Travis's little darling has a personality and told him to GFY and so it was.... MM
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Well guys, what's the score? Is there an elk down yet??
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14

I showed him more than 100 elk each morning and you would think he could shoot something with a plastic stock and fast twist, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I showed him another herd this morning and even then he couldn't find them with the binoculars...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Looks like some wild country you are hunting!

Make sure to keep Flave within your sight at all times.

Wouldn't want him to get turned around and require a search party rescue.
Bridger Canyon can get hairy if you don't pay attention!
Thank God an out of control Subaru didn't take Flave out while he was glassing!
grin
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Looks like some wild country you are hunting!

Make sure to keep Flave within your sight at all times.

Wouldn't want him to get turned around and require a search party rescue.

Laffin'.
To be fair, earlier this morning I almost shot a buck that jumped about 200 yards from the feedlot.

Got out of the pickup to open a gate type of hunting.......grin

Guessing with 100% certainty that today is the day for Flave to score!
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
I see I have become a victim of cyber bullying...

Travis
As you well deserve, having dished out your share over the years.

GFY,
Some of the things said about you in PM's were pretty mean.

Funny, but mean.

mtcurman has a mean streak in him.
Ok, so long story as short as possible:

First off, shrap has the art of one day/weekend hunting down to a science. We went to the spot well before sunup and started glassing as soon as we could. Spotted elk and checked wind. Shrap dumped mini-'flave and I off and then he went back to town to get the breakfast he wouldn't let us have before heading out.

Mini and myself headed up to the top where the elk were spotted. I'd say it was 1K' up. Wind in our face and moving west toward the elk we were more than a little confident the whole time. We check location of the herd by cresting the ridge on occasion and getting within line of sight. Then we'd creep back toward the edge of the timber and continue our creeping.

Got within 200yds and low crawled up to a shooting position. Everything with headgear moved away but the cows were in a huge ball of couldn't shoot. Chambered a round and waited a bit as I figured there would be a loner some time soon and I'd smoke it. Opportunity was aaaaalmost there, but the last straggler had another cow moving behind her so I held off. No big deal, they dropped down into a draw with a bunch of timber but the opposite side was clear and I figured they'd reappear. Ranged it quick and it was 300yds to the other side. Well within range of my incredible deadliness.

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait. There was a cow bedded on the other side. I'd have to thread the needle through a clearing in the timber but she was only 200yds out. The luck o 'flave rang again. As luck would further have it, I was able to stand and use a tree as a support. This elk hunting schit was gettin' easier by the second and I laughed as I thought about all the fugging morons in this world that think it's difficult. Further proving that God loves me, the cow stood up, and gave me a perfect broadside. I let the breath out, smiled and squeezed the trigger. "Click."

"Fugg..." as I rack the bolt and am rewarded with a jam. 'WTF?' I look in the chamber and sure as schit there is a round in there. 'Why will it not fire? Why will it not extract?' 'Fugg it... who cares...try it again.' I close the bolt and hold just behind the shoulder of the still there stupid ass cow. "Click."

I drop down to a knee and move back. 'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

I don't despair because I have a long history of luck outweighing my habitual habits of being a slob and procrastinator. I dump the mag and grab the Leatherman and start tapping against the stock. Mean time I am glancing at the opening where I saw the cow. She's gone, but since Christ still loves 'flave there are about 6 cows standing on the clearing I'd originally hoped they show up on. As I repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

Down and back to a ridge so I can take the shot. Just as I low crawl to the rocks I was going to shoot over, the last cow disappears into the timber. I know my luck never runs out, so I wait. Sure as schit... three more elk. All bulls.

So on that note, I dropped a few more expletives, and walked back to my son who was observing the whole time. He never looked so proud to know I'm probably not his real dad. Then, we got the fugg out of there.

The End.

Travis
As you well deserve, having dished out your share over the years.

GFY,

My bullying is cheeky and fun loving. Your guy's actions are mean spirited and emotionally scarring.

Travis
Originally Posted by SLM

mtcurman has a mean streak in him.

That's a cold, hard, bitch slap of truth right there.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/16/14
I am reeling here. Too stunned for a witty retort......and hopefully an emotionally scarring one.

I'll be back.
I knew short headspace was somehow involved, but didn't realize it wasn't inside the rifle but instead someone's head.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I knew short headspace was somehow involved, but didn't realize it wasn't inside the rifle but instead someone's head.

LMAO!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
We've all done something like that, sometime or other. Haven't we?

Hopefully Shrapnel can save the day.
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by ingwe
I am reeling here. Too stunned for a witty retort......and hopefully an emotionally scarring one.

I'll be back.

I'm sure your boyfriend will be able to help out.

Travis
Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO!

There's nothing funny about cyber-bullying.

Travis

Before we headed out he insisted I take his 300 Weatherby. I decided against it.

You can imagine how the remainder of the weekend went...

Travis
It can be too much of an advantage to take a trained elk rifle.
If I could blame somebody else for the debacle I would begrudge them indefinitely.

But since I can only blame myself, I have chosen to forgive and forget.

Travis
Too much headspace for 7-08 ammo.

Talk about hittin' the nail on the head...

Travis
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

Duh......

My brother killed tons of big bulls with a a 270. Next time he says something about them I know what to tell him. Three letters will suffice. wink
Tough break there Travis.. Probably happened to all of us.. But as someone mentioned, taking Shrapnel's .300 would not be a bad
idea.. As pointed out it is a trained elk killer.. Every little bit helps.. Good luck..
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thank God an out of control Subaru didn't take Flave out while he was glassing!

Ha, ha, ha. TFF right there, Sam.
We've all done something like that, sometime or other. Haven't we?

Uh, for real? Oh, I get it. You're trying to make him feel better. Ok.

Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO!

There's nothing funny about cyber-bullying.

Travis

We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.
Well, there are probably other guys who would need more than two days to tag a cow in Shrap's private elk park, but I doubt it.

My bet is the young Flave would have put the right load in the rig and put meat on the table, since he is too young to load the gun while being loaded.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

BackPack, or horse hunt? LOL!

I swear I can see a Wal-mart sign in the background...

Similar to Wisco, but we call them livestock...

Will there be a revenge tour?

First off, shrap has the art of one day/weekend hunting down to a science. We went to the spot well before sunup and started glassing as soon as we could. Spotted elk and checked wind. Shrap dumped mini-'flave and I off and then he went back to town to get the breakfast he wouldn't let us have before heading out.

Mini and myself headed up to the top where the elk were spotted. I'd say it was 1K' up. Wind in our face and moving west toward the elk we were more than a little confident the whole time. We check location of the herd by cresting the ridge on occasion and getting within line of sight. Then we'd creep back toward the edge of the timber and continue our creeping.

Got within 200yds and low crawled up to a shooting position. Everything with headgear moved away but the cows were in a huge ball of couldn't shoot. Chambered a round and waited a bit as I figured there would be a loner some time soon and I'd smoke it. Opportunity was aaaaalmost there, but the last straggler had another cow moving behind her so I held off. No big deal, they dropped down into a draw with a bunch of timber but the opposite side was clear and I figured they'd reappear. Ranged it quick and it was 300yds to the other side. Well within range of my incredible deadliness.

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait. There was a cow bedded on the other side. I'd have to thread the needle through a clearing in the timber but she was only 200yds out. The luck o 'flave rang again. As luck would further have it, I was able to stand and use a tree as a support. This elk hunting schit was gettin' easier by the second and I laughed as I thought about all the fugging morons in this world that think it's difficult. Further proving that God loves me, the cow stood up, and gave me a perfect broadside. I let the breath out, smiled and squeezed the trigger. "Click."

"Fugg..." as I rack the bolt and am rewarded with a jam. 'WTF?' I look in the chamber and sure as schit there is a round in there. 'Why will it not fire? Why will it not extract?' 'Fugg it... who cares...try it again.' I close the bolt and hold just behind the shoulder of the still there stupid ass cow. "Click."

I drop down to a knee and move back. 'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

I don't despair because I have a long history of luck outweighing my habitual habits of being a slob and procrastinator. I dump the mag and grab the Leatherman and start tapping against the stock. Mean time I am glancing at the opening where I saw the cow. She's gone, but since Christ still loves 'flave there are about 6 cows standing on the clearing I'd originally hoped they show up on. As I repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

Down and back to a ridge so I can take the shot. Just as I low crawl to the rocks I was going to shoot over, the last cow disappears into the timber. I know my luck never runs out, so I wait. Sure as schit... three more elk. All bulls.

So on that note, I dropped a few more expletives, and walked back to my son who was observing the whole time. He never looked so proud to know I'm probably not his real dad. Then, we got the fugg out of there.

The End.

Travis

I'll pray for you tonight.

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod in your pack by now. wink grin
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod

True enough, since every thing else apparently collapsed.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

I was very kind to Travis and didn't pile on, when I could have. I had these elk spotted for over a week and kept an eye on them during that time. It is true, I went for breakfast at Val's Diner in Wilsall while Travis and Mini-flave were hiking, but there was no need for me to hike with 2 elk already under my belt this fall, and recovering from a severe leg injury.

I strongly urged Travis to take the 300 and Mini could pack the lighter and much inferior rifle, if you can call it that. You can't talk sense to someone who insists on fast twist and plastic. He opted for the GFY and 2 different cartridges, confident one would work.

I am watching all of this through a spotting scope and can see Travis and elk, both in the spotter. Watching the sneak, I was expecting a shot at any time and was hoping to see the elk drop in the scope. Neither happened and we broke radio silence. There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

I never said "I told you so" but I had a strong feeling that I should. Travis is something of a sensitive guy and after all the drama, I again exercised prudence and stayed calm and polite. Besides, we had tomorrow to do it again, and Val's is open for breakfast at 7:00.

Travis decided elk hunting was easier than he thought and didn't consider all the work I had put into this to make it happen for him. He told me that he was fine with a quick trip over on "Bob's place" in the morning and by then, he would be having Megan/Pepper withdrawals and opted for an early departure.

That was soon forgotten though, when we got to the motel and she wasn't there. I left him standing in the entryway of the Motel in 7 degree weather steaming at being left by his 2 girls. At least he wasn't cold...
Originally Posted by Kenneth

[Linked Image]

HAHAAAHAHAA HAAAAA!! Whew. Thanks for that!

Travis, sorry to hear that you didn't get to mosey up a hill and pop an elk broadside at 200 with a tree to shoot from. I don't know what you would have called that, but I wouldn't have called it elk hunting. Now, pissing away that shot and watching the elk disappear with nary a shot fired, that sounds closer to elk hunting. I hope you were able to share some fun with your son though, and not teach him too many 'new' words.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Emotional scarring? Oh hell yeah! This was a disaster of epic proportions!!!!
I will say Dave I have been there, and done that, so I can sympathize with you.

Well, not really. I can't even imagine choking this bad. It's embarrassing frankly, and in front of the boy no less. What will his friends say now? "Oh look, CHOKER JR!!!"

And for the record, fireforming brass doesn't work like that. What a rookie trick.

Sorry Dave, I'm feelin your pain. Choker.

There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

They were moving west..

Travis
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I hope you were able to share some fun with your son though, and not teach him too many 'new' words.

We had a good time.

But I can tell you this. We were done for the day... grin

Travis

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod in your pack by now. wink grin

Words hurt.

Travis
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I finally know what it feels like to be from Oregon.

Travis
eyeball and fireball.. team crackup.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
One of the greatest stories ever told on the fire........
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
So does this make SAVAGE 99 right. If it had been a controlled round feed this would not of happened. Dumb Don knows what he is talking about. grin
Originally Posted by Kenneth

All this criticism and still no one could see Travis is standing In front of a huge herd of elk and still can't see them. Try as I may to show them to him he was still looking off to the right of where they are all bunched up...
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
So does this make SAVAGE 99 right. If it had been a controlled round feed this would not of happened. Dumb Don knows what he is talking about. grin

Travis, what did I say about this?
Posted By: PAMac Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Travis could have killed any one of them at any time.... The preplanned ammo malfunction was the only thing giving the elk a chance of survival, otherwise their fate was sealed.....

Good on ya.... deflave
Posted By: barm Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

The End.

Travis

Great story, Travis. The 7-08 will prevail next time.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

I'll be back.

I'm sure your boyfriend will be able to help out.

Travis

That type of defensive lashing out is uncalled for.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Shrap opined that had it been a CRF action it probably would have done just that.

So if nothing else I have proven CRF actions suck when you feed the wrong ammo into your rifle.

Push feed wins again.

Travis

Travis, what did I say about this?

You called me an idiot.

Travis
Originally Posted by PAMac
Travis could have killed any one of them at any time.... The preplanned ammo malfunction was the only thing giving the elk a chance of survival, otherwise their fate was sealed.....

Good on ya.... deflave

I'm pretty good at sellin' bullschit. But this one is tough... grin

Travis
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

I was very kind to Travis and didn't pile on, when I could have. I had these elk spotted for over a week and kept an eye on them during that time. It is true, I went for breakfast at Val's Diner in Wilsall while Travis and Mini-flave were hiking, but there was no need for me to hike with 2 elk already under my belt this fall, and recovering from a severe leg injury.

I strongly urged Travis to take the 300 and Mini could pack the lighter and much inferior rifle, if you can call it that. You can't talk sense to someone who insists on fast twist and plastic. He opted for the GFY and 2 different cartridges, confident one would work.

I am watching all of this through a spotting scope and can see Travis and elk, both in the spotter. Watching the sneak, I was expecting a shot at any time and was hoping to see the elk drop in the scope. Neither happened and we broke radio silence. There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

I never said "I told you so" but I had a strong feeling that I should. Travis is something of a sensitive guy and after all the drama, I again exercised prudence and stayed calm and polite. Besides, we had tomorrow to do it again, and Val's is open for breakfast at 7:00.

Travis decided elk hunting was easier than he thought and didn't consider all the work I had put into this to make it happen for him. He told me that he was fine with a quick trip over on "Bob's place" in the morning and by then, he would be having Megan/Pepper withdrawals and opted for an early departure.

That was soon forgotten though, when we got to the motel and she wasn't there. I left him standing in the entryway of the Motel in 7 degree weather steaming at being left by his 2 girls. At least he wasn't cold...

AWESOME! This is easily the second best hunting story I have read on the 'fire. Now, if Travis ass-shoots an elk, and Shrapnel shows up with a mile of cable....
Posted By: laker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Well that settles the debate on using 22 calibers for game bigger than deer. They just plain don't shoot if pointed at anything bigger than a deer.
Originally Posted by barm

Great story, Travis. The 7-08 will prevail next time.

Shrap agrees 100%.

Travis
Originally Posted by xxclaro

AWESOME! This is easily the second best hunting story I have read on the 'fire. Now, if Travis ass-shoots an elk, and Shrapnel shows up with a mile of cable....

The good news is no animals were wounded and no hunting privileges were lost.

The bad news is my ego almost took a dent. Almost.

Travis
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
This sort of thing will just keep happening if you get rid of your 29..
I think I need to spend a week with Downstream and find my center.

Travis

I was judicious with my criticism. Travis will concur, I was nowhere near as hard on him as he may have deserved. We have a friendship brothers would be envious of. We both know that there aren't a half dozen Campfire members that could have survived this debacle...

Schrap, have him look another thirty degrees to the left..
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Please tell me that this is not over, and we can expect more of this gripping tale? Its simply too good to stop now. Good to see Travis is keeping his chin up, and with a mentor like Shrapnel he must certainly connect at some point. THAT should be a story worth hearing!
What a sport Travis! Chin up, happens to us all sooner or later. In your case sooner.

Choker.

I finally know what it feels like to be from Oregon.
Travis

This wounds me Dave. Please don't be like that.

Try as I may to show them to him he was still looking off to the right of where they are all bunched up...

I can only imagine the amount of your frustration, had to be about the same size as that herd of Elk,

next time put a 12 pack of Busch Light in the field, he'll spot that, adjust from there.

Travis will eventually prevail; Schrap can't let him fail.

MM
What a sport Travis! Chin up, happens to us all sooner or later. In your case sooner.

Choker.

I just praise the good Lord that my very worse, trumps your very best.

Travis
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

He was supposed to tie one to a tree.

I kinda feel like I got screwed after all that driving...

Travis

Choker.

I just praise the good Lord that my very worse, trumps your very best.

Travis

Quite right ol boy. Cheerio. laugh

Seriously though, glad you got out and took the boy, sounds like a good hunt when you see all them critters.

You think the gun got too cold and the oil froze up a bit?

Not sure what you mean.

Travis
Posted By: powdr Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Fire forming your 7-08 out of 22-250 now days huh? You retard...GFY. I bet that boy will have a tale that no one at school will believe...I mean w/his father's reputation and all as a big game hunter. powdr
Things could always be worse. My Saturday could have consisted of sitting in a deer blind in south Texas.

UBER depressing.

Travis
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

He was supposed to tie one to a tree.

I kinda feel like I got screwed after all that driving...

Travis

Whoa.......easy there Big Boy. Schrap will never go that far.

You gotta pull your end at least a little. wink

MM
Posted By: powdr Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Yeah but at least sittin there you'd been able to reach in your pocket and pull out that 250W cartridge and say, Oh [bleep]! powdr

You think the gun got too cold and the oil froze up a bit?

Not sure what you mean.

Travis

Yep, brain fart. I was thinking misfire, rolling that around in my brain, and spaced that you had the wrong ammo. It must have been real dark or you were super excited!

That's a tough story.

I'm guessing you didn't have any 7-08 ammo at all along?

Did you try to find some 7-08 ammo in Bozeman?
Posted By: HawkI Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I don't know what to say, other than belted mag ammo boxes are taller...
Was there a big "GFY" sticker on the ammo box? That's where I'd start checking things out.....

Congrats on the elk!

Oh well, at least shrap didn't have to turn on the radio on the ride back.....
His "first elk"? Can you really call it that if he struck out. Can we just call him a 50 year old virgin instead?? laugh whistle.. Oh, by the way, GFY travis....You should have taken shrappy up on his 300 wby offer. You probably wouldn't have even felt the recoil. Better luck next time..
Originally Posted by mtcurman
This sort of thing will just keep happening if you get rid of your 29..

The point is that he still has it.

It needs to go where its appreciated, not housed up with a bastard stainless single action.

You saw that pistol case full of Smiths. They were all happy...
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Bummer..

Also a 257 Roberts wont chamber in a 6.5x55,I tested that one out a few years ago whistle

Yep, brain fart. I was thinking misfire, rolling that around in my brain, and spaced that you had the wrong ammo. It must have been real dark or you were super excited!

That's actually what I thought when it first went click. I thought maybe my never cleaning anything was catching up to me and that the -19 temp froze something up.

But no. The gun was fine.

Travis
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I had plenty of 7-08. It was in my pocket.

Travis
Originally Posted by HawkI

The point is that he still has it.

It needs to go where its appreciated, not housed up with a bastard stainless single action.

You saw that pistol case full of Smiths. They were all happy...

I'm thinking of selling all of them anyway. I can find the right ammo.

Travis
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
His "first elk"? Can you really call it that if he struck out.

You should stick to measuring groups.

Humor is not your forte.

Travis
Originally Posted by rosco1
Bummer..

Also a 257 Roberts wont chamber in a 6.5x55,I tested that one out a few years ago whistle

Grin...

If anybody is wondering how this could happen, my theory is that I left a 22-250 round in the shellholder that is sewn into the breast pocket of my jacket.

About the only two guns I use during deer season are the 22-250 and the 7.

Even though I am certain that I cleaned out the shellholder and replaced them all with 7's before leaving for Bozeman, I am guessing I missed one and Murphy made sure it was number three when I was pulling them from the shellholder.

Travis
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
They're back at them this morning...

I'm just thankful I was able to see you again. (Tear font)

Travis
Posted By: roundoak Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Travis and a travesty.

Look at it as a teachable moment for your son. grin

Wayne
Posted By: 4ager Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
'Flave still hasn't figured out that this is just a ploy to get him to come back next year so that he can fail again, but have Shrapnel put mini-Flave onto a 360"+ 6x6. All the more rock salt for the self-inflicted wounds.

wink
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I had a chance like that my 300wby and my son in law's 300wby would be putting a hole in two elk. Of course the wife would settle for just a deer.
Originally Posted by 4ager
'Flave still hasn't figured out that this is just a ploy to get him to come back next year so that he can fail again, but have Shrapnel put mini-Flave onto a 360"+ 6x6. All the more rock salt for the self-inflicted wounds.

wink

With a proven, wood stocked, blued barrel deluxe rifle that kills out past 500 yards...
You are trying to deprogram him from the ss/plastic cult....

I get it now.....
Posted By: 4ager Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by 4ager

wink

With a proven, wood stocked, blued barrel deluxe rifle that kills out past 500 yards...

I wasn't trying to give away the entire game plan. Hell, you're probably planning on the kid making the shot with irons and a BPCR.
Originally Posted by PAMac

Good on ya.... deflave

Ha. He didnt want to have to pack it off the hill.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I had a chance like that my 300wby and my son in law's 300wby would be putting a hole in two elk. Of course the wife would settle for just a deer.

You'd have never made it up the mountain.

Travis
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
If it makes Flave feel any better, I once got up at midnight, packed, hit the road, drove 3 hours, and hit my spot on schedule just before shooting light for the mule deer opener. Then opened the gun case and found a Ruger 77/22 instead of a FN .30-06. I couldn't do anything but laugh, buy breakfast, and go home blush
Originally Posted by eyeball

Ha. He didnt want to have to pack it off the hill.

By the end of that debacle, I didn't want to do much of anything.

Not to mention shrapnel chewed my ass for alleged bad parenting.

Travis
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If it makes Flave feel any better, I once got up at midnight, packed, hit the road, drove 3 hours, and hit my spot on schedule just before shooting light for the mule deer opener. Then opened the gun case and found a Ruger 77/22 instead of a FN .30-06. I couldn't do anything but laugh, buy breakfast, and go home blush

Yeah. I've actually done much worse.

But this time there was a witness so I have to own it.

Travis
I have a feeling this thread will become epic,a campfire classic, destined to be preserved for posterity.

Notice I haven't been too critical as of yet....Im still working on it.... grin
I don't think I like this new, humble Travis. Can we have the old one back?
laugh wink
I don't think I like this new, humble Travis. Can we have the old one back?
laugh wink

GFY.

Travis
'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

Travis

This is raising serious red flags on whether you're able to be a responsible adoptive parent of my child...
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

Travis

This is raising serious red flags on whether you're able to be a responsible adoptive parent of my child...

Because Gruff is gay?

That shouldn't worry you.

Travis
Posted By: NTG Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I had plenty of 7-08. It was in my pocket.

Travis

Ahh...most of us change our pants between outings, Travis. Oh, and I have it under good advisement that 22-250 rounds don't work so when once washed. I learned long time ago that life is better for me and my wife if I check my pockets before they go in the laundry.

All kidding aside, you'll get one, and thanks for being a caring dad...ingraining a malleable mind with your pure, unadulterated character.
Excellent read guys, thanks for the entertainment ! I bet that mistake will never happen again on a elk hunt. You are forgiven Deflave. Glad there was no mishap with the wrong cartridge.
Your son will truly learn from this, to be careful when grabbing a box of shells for a hunt.
If you bribe/pay him, maybe he won't tell his friends. : )
Don't bet on it.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
This reply is directed to mini-Flave....

Dude...

Best Punk'd episode EVAH!!! laugh
Posted By: NTG Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Don't bet on it.
Yea...he's got Flave in his name.
I got a couple of tall 13+ mountains in my back yard for training. Of course living at 8500 feet helps too. I forgot to tell you Elk in my backyard too.

Everyone should know that our own Campfire mentor, Mule Deer showed up for a varmint hunt without ammunition...
Originally Posted by NTG

Ahh...most of us change our pants between outings, Travis. Oh, and I have it under good advisement that 22-250 rounds don't work so when once washed. I learned long time ago that life is better for me and my wife if I check my pockets before they go in the laundry.

All kidding aside, you'll get one, and thanks for being a caring dad...ingraining a malleable mind with your pure, unadulterated character.

I've washed thousands. grin

Thanks,
Travis
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse
Excellent read guys, thanks for the entertainment ! I bet that mistake will never happen again on a elk hunt. You are forgiven Deflave. Glad there was no mishap with the wrong cartridge.
Your son will truly learn from this, to be careful when grabbing a box of shells for a hunt.
If you bribe/pay him, maybe he won't tell his friends. : )

I drove him to school this morning and asked him how he thought I would have handled that if it were HE that chambered the wrong ammunition at the end of that 4 hour stalk.

He rolled his eyes and laughed...

Travis
I got a couple of tall 13+ mountains in my back yard for training. Of course living at 8500 feet helps too. I forgot to tell you Elk in my backyard too.

I'd rather FUBAR a thousand cow elk hunts in MT than harvest one bull in CO.

Travis
Originally Posted by MojoHand
This reply is directed to mini-Flave....

Dude...

Best Punk'd episode EVAH!!! laugh

Yeah. Maybe mini is like the Japanese and is ten years ahead of me?

Travis
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I have a feeling this thread will become epic,a campfire classic, destined to be preserved for posterity

Exactly, it should be made a "sticky" for all. Title it, "What not to do"
Next Flave will be blaming the Pollacks for this. grin cool
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I have a feeling this thread will become epic,a campfire classic, destined to be preserved for posterity.

Notice I haven't been too critical as of yet....Im still working on it.... grin

I think it could get UBER.
Yea, once you get a Bull in Colorado you will hunt no where else. grin
Originally Posted by 338Rem
I have a feeling this thread will become epic,a campfire classic, destined to be preserved for posterity

Too late, he was already blaming Megan for not checking his ammo supply before he loaded his so-called rifle...
When did a 7mm-08 become a rifle? I thought it was a target pistol round. laugh

Everyone should know that our own Campfire mentor, Mule Deer showed up for a varmint hunt without ammunition...

If he did on our extravaganza, he never asked me....I probably had some whistle

Travis

I think he chewed because it was PAST an allegation.....

If he did on our extravaganza, he never asked me....I probably had some whistle

Nope, it wasn't the PD Invitational. It was another time when he was going to enlighten me on the virtues of a 204 Ruger. He did fail, you can't do it without ammunition...
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

Can't. These are Rugged Montana elk. Not gay California elk
Yep, but luckily I remembered the ammo for Eileen's rifles.

By the way, we're still shooting some of that .22 Long Rifle ammo I bought in Wilsall so I could shoot gophers. I decided as long as the store was selling it for a decent price to stock up. Turned out out that was a good decision.

Travis

I have guided elk hunters before, this wasn't my first time. While they were putting on their cold weather gear in the -19 degree weather, I pulled out a set of walkie-talkies and put in new batteries.

I told him to take one and give another to Mini. Travis assured me he would never be more than a few steps away from Mini. I yielded to his sense of parental duty.

While I was watching the great elk debacle unfold, I saw Travis go over the top of the mountain, solo. I watched for Mini to see if he would follow a few paces behind, but he didn't. There were trees that covered much of the patterns of these two flat landers, I had to make sure nothing went wrong.

You also need to remember, I am watching 100 head of elk and wanting to keep tabs on them. Evidently Travis came back from the backside of the mountain while I was looking at elk. I watched Mini walk up and down the mountain in the open and then East sad West alternately.

It is at this point I am starting to wonder about Travis's parenting, as I worry Mini is alone walking I circles. This is the 7 mm-08 malfunction junction at its best, because I am watching Mini walking incircles to keep warm while Travis is having epic so-called rifle failure.

At times I could see elk and Mini in the same field of view, no sign of Travis, no sounds of guns being fired. I always keep my radio on so when radio silence is broken, I can respond. It was at that time I heard a disparaging remark from Travis and that he and Mini were coming off the mountain.

When he got back to the truck, he told me of the whole ordeal. I am sure the back of his head still smarts from the slap. I told him that I wouldn't tell him so, but like Custer refusing to take the Gatling to the Little Bighorn, Travis opted to leave the 300 with me at the truck...

Pix?

Travis

I have guided elk hunters before, this wasn't my first time. While they were putting on their cold weather gear in the -19 degree weather, I pulled out a set of walkie-talkies and put in new batteries.

I told him to take one and give another to Mini. Travis assured me he would never be more than a few steps away from Mini. I yielded to his sense of parental duty.

While I was watching the great elk debacle unfold, I saw Travis go over the top of the mountain, solo. I watched for Mini to see if he would follow a few paces behind, but he didn't. There were trees that covered much of the patterns of these two flat landers, I had to make sure nothing went wrong.

You also need to remember, I am watching 100 head of elk and wanting to keep tabs on them. Evidently Travis came back from the backside of the mountain while I was looking at elk. I watched Mini walk up and down the mountain in the open and then East sad West alternately.

It is at this point I am starting to wonder about Travis's parenting, as I worry Mini is alone walking I circles. This is the 7 mm-08 malfunction junction at its best, because I am watching Mini walking incircles to keep warm while Travis is having epic so-called rifle failure.

At times I could see elk and Mini in the same field of view, no sign of Travis, no sounds of guns being fired. I always keep my radio on so when radio silence is broken, I can respond. It was at that time I heard a disparaging remark from Travis and that he and Mini were coming off the mountain.

When he got back to the truck, he told me of the whole ordeal. I am sure the back of his head still smarts from the slap. I told him that I wouldn't tell him so, but like Custer refusing to take the Gatling to the Little Bighorn, Travis opted to leave the 300 with me at the truck...

Re-posted for posterity....and child safety.

I love it.

PS: I got someone a camo'd, padded 5 gallon bucket lid(Neal bought it).....that swivels. Not that it will help or anything....
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by xxclaro

The good news is no animals were wounded and no hunting privileges were lost.

The bad news is my ego almost took a dent. Almost.

Travis
The bad news is no elk sticks to share at the VFW in Poland frown
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Well, that right there was a good read !

smile
Originally Posted by 338Rem

I did insinuate that her and her daughter brought Polish luck when they decided to accompany me.

Travis

I could see my hunting in CO causing me to hang it up.

Travis

When he got back to the truck, he told me of the whole ordeal. I am sure the back of his head still smarts from the slap.

I've been punched too many times to let it bother me at this point in life..

Travis
Originally Posted by Rooster7
The bad news is no elk sticks to share at the VFW in Poland frown

Don't be ridiculous. Shrapnel has piles of them.

I'll steal some next time I'm down there.

Travis
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well, that right there was a good read !

smile

UBER fail... grin.

GFY.

Travis
Posted By: SKane Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I've thoroughly enjoyed this. grin

Tis why I hunt alone - I never screw up when I'm hunting solo. whistle whistle
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14

...Heysoose Kreeesto!

..... On a Freaking Platter, MAAAANNN!A FREAKING PLATTTTTERRRRR!

Time to pick one rifle and give the rest to mini 'Flave....you obviously can't handle the "pressure" of a basic multi-cartridge battery.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
I did go hunting once at about 8000 feet in the Inyo Mtns, and it was 0�F or so and darned chilly. So -15� and I can certainly sympathize with Flave and Mini-Flave on the challenge.

But I also note that if I were to go whack an elk on my first try (especially with a wood & blue steel rifle) I would be more Uber than Flave.

An appealing opportunity... grin
Just fell off the 'puter chair howlin'. Wife doesn't know whether to call EMS or the guys with the straight jackets. laugh
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Hey Travis,

Next time maybe you should take JJ Hack with you....

Bwahhhahahahah!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/17/14
Glad to be able to add humour to you 2 NBTE boys day !!
Yeah, it's no ass-shot bear along with the virtues of some mega-magnum, and a mile of cable to add validity to the whole tale, but I keep coming back to this thread. I have to say that you're taking really well, Travis. If it was me, I'd look and sound like a severe Tourette's sufferer for some time.

Can't wait for Part Deux!
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Just fell off the 'puter chair howlin'. Wife doesn't know whether to call EMS or the guys with the straight jackets. laugh

That makes all this worth it...

Travis
Hey Travis,

Next time maybe you should take JJ Hack with you....

Bwahhhahahahah!

Eeeeasy on that comparison there CoCheese...

'Flave didn't wound game nor require assistance from anyone. Per always.

Travis
Yeah, it's no ass-shot bear along with the virtues of some mega-magnum, and a mile of cable to add validity to the whole tale, but I keep coming back to this thread. I have to say that you're taking really well, Travis. If it was me, I'd look and sound like a severe Tourette's sufferer for some time.

While I am not a fan of accepting defeat, a guy has to maintain perspective and not take himself more serious than necessary.

But goddamm, I wish I'd whacked that cow... grin.

Travis
You will make another hunt this season...???
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You will make another hunt this season...???

To Bozeman? No.

Locally? I may.

But to be quite honest, I'd rather hunt deer than cow elk.

Travis
Come on, you'd hit a cow. Admit it....

laugh
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Come on, you'd hit a cow. Admit it....

laugh

Twice...

Dave
I would also rather hunt deer than elk.. Elk are for meat, deer are for hunting..
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Big 2 year old cow sure has some great tender loins. Deer are good but the tender loins only last one meal. Elk you can get 5 or 6 meals of tender loins.
I've told him before nobody GAF about a cow elk.

FWIW even if CO were the only place on earth a guy could kill an elk, it still wouldn't be worth living there.

Big 2 year old cow sure has some great tender loins. Deer are good but the tender loins only last one meal. Elk you can get 5 or 6 meals of tender loins.

If I were shootin' critters for meat, I'd do it year 'round.

Travis

FWIW even if CO were the only place on earth a guy could kill an elk, it still wouldn't be worth living there.

You finally said something that made sense.

Travis
grin
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14

While I am not a fan of accepting defeat, a guy has to maintain perspective and not take himself more serious than necessary.

But goddamm, I wish I'd whacked that cow... grin.

Travis

Only half as much as I do. The local TV station has heard about this and wants to do a story. The real problem is that around this part of the state they don't even know who Scenarshooter is because the folk stories about Shrapnel have been discussed around campfires so long, they haven't had any need for other success stories.

It takes some real work to suppress a 380 bull elk taken with a recurve bow. An unfinished story of an elk hunt with no elk, turns into a Christmas Carol, The First Noelk...

You finally said something that made sense.

Travis

Everything I say makes sense.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
I'm still waiting to hear an explanation of why or what makes a "Colorado elk" better than any other elk.

Flave, at least you were our there hiking and trying to teach your son how to hunt. We have shared in his success before so you must be doing something right there.
Sure beats pounding on the keyboard keys, or doing a retile job in the house like I was doing......
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to live here. Liberals are trying to take over the whole state. They want it to be a wolf sanctuary. I say move the wolves to back east where the liberals can see them.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Well, I'm very disappointed that this little adventure has drawn to a close. I really was hoping for at least one more episode. Shrap's storytelling has been great, and I'm sure that another couple days worth of hunting would have resulted in a truly epic tale.
I am somewhat disappointed at the good grace with which Travis is taking his lumps, even going so far as to admit some responsibility. This is quite out of character and makes it more difficult to cyber bully him, which I find somewhat inconsiderate.
Posted By: colodog Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
"CSI Havre" has a first episode script and this is it!
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by NTG

I've washed thousands. grin

Thanks,
Travis

Ha. Caring dad my ass. I just thank The Lord young Flave wasn't the one this chitt happened to with Col Travis along to pack meat. Whew, I'd be glad it wasnt me in his shoes. grin

Travis

Ha, and a real hunter would pay good money to take a real gun after elk rather than an elk gun wanna be. wink
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Seems like there ought to be a SPAM trophy handed out. A base made from a piece of pine with the can mounted on top.

[Linked Image]
Too bad--I was hoping for a sequel. Oh well. This is plenty of entertainment for a while.

Say...I'm looking at picking up a 7mm-08. Who has some good 22-250 loads for that? Looking to go after elk...
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to live here. Liberals are trying to take over the whole state. They want it to be a wolf sanctuary. I say move the wolves to back east where the liberals can see them.

Still waiting for those pix...

If I were shootin' critters for meat, I'd do it year 'round.

Travis

Come on Travis, admit it. You left Mini Flave behind cause you were asceered he'd mess up your chitt. grin
Originally Posted by gonzaga

Flave, at least you were our there hiking and trying to teach your son how to hunt. We have shared in his success before so you must be doing something right there.

There is a line in the movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" that goes something like this...

"When legend becomes fact, print the legend"

This story is much better without revealing all the virtue that Travis has. We discussed this at length on the trip next morning. It is better that no one knows who Travis really is...
I'm thinking he's proud of that fact, Shrap. grin

It's awful nice too, of you taking him in and trying, at least, to educate him (.300 vs .22-250) wink
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14

I had the pleasure (if you call it that) of living just of I70 in NW Kansas for a while. I've never seen so many rag horns and wanna-be bulls traveling back east after the hunters had slayed their monstrous Colorado elk.

No doubt there are big ones there, but most everything I ever saw while there coming out of Colorado, I would pass up here if bull hunting.
I was gonna give Travis bs about this then I remembered finding a 270 in a box of 280's awhile back and remembered we all can make mistakes. It's what you do about it that counts. Feel like a dick for awhile and move on,this type of stuff needs a point in time to laugh at yourself and share it. Then move on,only need so much salt in the wound to make you remember. I think Travis showed his own son what can happen when you overlook details. Growth and a learning experience in one lesson. I really wouldn't have wanted to use Shrapnel's 300 with the grenade launcher on the end of it either. Magnum Man

It takes some real work to suppress a 380 bull elk taken with a recurve bow. An unfinished story of an elk hunt with no elk, turns into a Christmas Carol, The First Noelk...

I'll sing it proudly this Christmas Eve.

Travis

Come on Travis, admit it. You left Mini Flave behind cause you were asceered he'd mess up your chitt. grin

Nah. We always do the last few yards separate. Just one less person to see.

Travis
It is better that no one knows who Travis really is...

I agree. Lots of states extradite these days.

Travis
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Seems like there ought to be a SPAM trophy handed out. A base made from a piece of pine with the can mounted on top.

[Linked Image]

Goes great with pickled eggs.

Travis
I'm still waiting to hear an explanation of why or what makes a "Colorado elk" better than any other elk.

Sure beats pounding on the keyboard keys, or doing a retile job in the house like I was doing......

Yep. We're pretty blessed to live here.

Travis
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I was gonna give Travis bs about this then I remembered finding a 270 in a box of 280's awhile back and remembered we all can make mistakes. It's what you do about it that counts. Feel like a dick for awhile and move on,this type of stuff needs a point in time to laugh at yourself and share it. Then move on,only need so much salt in the wound to make you remember. I think Travis showed his own son what can happen when you overlook details. Growth and a learning experience in one lesson. I really wouldn't have wanted to use Shrapnel's 300 with the grenade launcher on the end of it either. Magnum Man

God doesn't serve me a lot of humble pie, but when he does, it's a big fuggin' pie... grin

Travis
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
I wasn't going to admit this but since you fessed up....

Last week I did an epic stalk on an uber mule deer buck in a blinding cold wind.

Got within 50 yards of the deer(huge 6x6 with double drop tines, probably +30" wide...).

Went to pull the trigger and nothing. Forgot the rifle back in the truck....

Still pissed that I had to slay the buck with my knife(got blood and chit all over my clothes).
Nothing stops SamO from "acing" a deer.

Travis
Posted By: Tanner Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14

As somebody that hunts in Colorado and probably a lot harder than you do, I declare this statement safariman level of stupid, and the poster probably is too.

Sorry to hear about the uber-fugg up. Pears sent.

Tanner
I don't think you're being sincere.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Yeah, he's really not sorry about the fugg up.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
I'm nothing if not sincere.

It's just a bummer you didn't have Adair with you. He'd have known what to do....

Tanner
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
He would have had a rubber elk handy to shoot.

There is more to coming to Bozeman than hunting elk...
Posted By: horse1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
A quick chamber set-back to 7XC should get the headspace about right. You will however have to obtain some bullets with enough diameter to engage the lands.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Or find some sabots to fit 'em.

Is this thread going to go on as long as "Birth of a Deer Camp"?

I sure hope so. I love any thread that is about me. Good or bad.

Travis
Some people have tried to pollute this thread but it remains unspotted. It is about Travis...
Posted By: starsky Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by Tarkio

I had the pleasure (if you call it that) of living just of I70 in NW Kansas for a while. I've never seen so many rag horns and wanna-be bulls traveling back east after the hunters had slayed their monstrous Colorado elk.

No doubt there are big ones there, but most everything I ever saw while there coming out of Colorado, I would pass up here if bull hunting.

All of the big elk are up in Montana these days. Only raghorns left in CO.
Originally Posted by starsky
Originally Posted by Tarkio

All of the big elk are up in Montana these days. Only raghorns left in CO.

I guided in CO this year for a few days... I'd have to agree with starsky... Nothing but raghorns...

Travis... Good job on screwing the pooch... I knew you had it in you...

When I take my boys hunting, it does turn out better...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
FYI,..Grafs has 7-08 [b][color:#3333FF]Hornady 139 GMX[/color][/b] ammo in stock for your next emergency...

Might put a box in the glove compartment of all your/Shrapnel's vehicles...
That pic of the truck is priceless.

Travis
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/18/14
Hey Travis, just checked in and was wondering how the huntin with Shrap went??? I hope you took the right ammo this time...Still laffin at you bringing 22-250 ammo for the 7mm-08 last year...crazy...
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/19/14
It is better that no one knows who Travis really is...

I agree. Lots of states extradite these days.

Travis

Yeah, BTDT.
Originally Posted by sgt217
Hey Travis, just checked in and was wondering how the huntin with Shrap went??? I hope you took the right ammo this time...Still laffin at you bringing 22-250 ammo for the 7mm-08 last year...crazy...

Ha, is this d�j� vu all over again?
I'm going to read this thread backwards and look for clues as to what went wrong.

I sure hope so. I love any thread that is about me. Good or bad.

Travis

Uh, there's a good one?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/19/14
ouch....
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/19/14
The GFY 7-08 was meant to be a reminder to - Go Find Your 7-08 ammo before you leave.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/19/14
Uber-ouch.... grin
Posted By: horse1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'm going to read this thread backwards and look for clues as to what went wrong.

your 1st clue @ ~:25:

Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
I think this should be called "first elk hunt", as I'm still looking for an elk.

Before we headed out he insisted I take his 300 Weatherby. I decided against it.

You can imagine how the remainder of the weekend went...

Travis

Does a 22-250 shoot better from a 300 Weatherby?
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
I pulled a "Travis" once a lot of years ago. I was living in Phoenix and had arranged to meet some East coast buds in New Mexico for a bear hunt. I drove and picked my buds up at the airport in NM. We got way back in to our destination and the first morning I realized I had brought the wrong ammo. My rifle was a wildcat, so no option to buy ammo. I was chief spotter for the trip. We only saw one bear the whole week. It was a tiny dink. So we had a great camping trip. Make the best of what you can. Sorry your elk hunt got hosed Travis.

Bob
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
Sounds like Travis had a classic case of "performance anxiety" trying to perform in front of Shrapnel. That kind of performing is not what the little blue pills are for!
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
This thread is closed.

Bumpity
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
I am not sure that it is appropriate for you to comment on moderation.

mike r
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
I too think that is inappropriate.

Uber-Moderator
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
How you been BGG?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14
Travis is still under the influence of anesthesia...
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

No mere mortal could resist the temptation...
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I pulled a "Travis" once a lot of years ago.

Bob

You do realize that covers a vast amount of territory...
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/20/14

Did he have to undergo a Cranial Rectal Extraction?

Had to have a few of those. The rehab time can be extremely long and painful.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
To the top.
I heard that Jay Cutler hunts with a custom 7-08/250
Posted By: horse1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
Originally Posted by SLM

Did he have to undergo a Cranial Rectal Extraction?

Had to have a few of those. The rehab time can be extremely long and painful.

Could potentially be suffering from the similar but less serious "Digital Rectitus".
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
This thread is closed.

we don't need no stinking moderators

grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
You are all banned.

Originally Posted by SLM
How you been BGG?

Busy as a busy little bee. Moving in winter sucks balls. Dogs all over the place and no phoucing time during the 3 hours of daylight we have to murder any. grin

Alls kickazz on the prayeree. How's things with you dude?
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
Life is good in the desert. Haven't been doing much of anything but work.

Moving anytime sucks.

You are all banned.

[Linked Image]
You are SO Banned! sick
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
You are all banned.

Good. I didn't want to go to the trouble of joining another site to get banned, but I always wanted to be banned, so this is pretty sweet.

However, as Uber-Moderator, I have reinstated myself so I could post this.
I reinstate everyone.

Self-appointed Moderator in Chief.
I actually think Travis should attend the Campfire Hog Hunt, as penance for not listening to Shrapnel...
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
Well, pretty obvious that Shrap's a heck of a good guy. Kudos.

Travis, we've all been there. Shrug it off, Schitt happens. I remember this one time at band camp.....no, um, hunting camp. Went down the hill (big hill!) after a caribou. Aim, safety off...click! Fugg! Had a bunch of rounds with bad primers. Caribou gets away and about that time my stomach starts to gurgle. Did I have my pack or even my fanny pack with "supplies"? Hell no, was just gonna wack the caribou and have the guys come pick me up (rule was if you killed something you got a ride back to camp, no kill you walked back up "the hill." Had to walk back to camp with no caribou and only half of a tee-shirt! Schitt REALLY does happen!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

We are preparing ourselves for the next invitational. It can be any game, anywhere...

This is The truck when Travis got here. Megan and his daughter, Pepper, rode all the way from Havre, in severe conditions, under that tarp, while Travis and jis egg-sucking dog road up front with the heater.

I have slapped him a few times, but for this I actually slugged him. People won't believe this, but it is true...

[Linked Image]

We are preparing ourselves for the next invitational. It can be any game, anywhere...

Who's turn is it to swap out his ammo?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

This is The truck when Travis got here. Megan and his daughter, Pepper, rode all the way from Havre, in severe conditions, under that tarp, while Travis and jis egg-sucking dog road up front with the heater.

I have slapped him a few times, but for this I actually slugged him. People won't believe this, but it is true...

[Linked Image]

Holy ballz. He's a [bleep] gypsy.
A handsome gypsy.

You are all on ignore.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
No wonder you were training so hard all summer for your Montana Elk Hunt.
That terrain looks brutal.
Most people will never know the strain and hazards of having to scale and clear a 4 strand wire.
Then consider an animal dieing where you can't back up to it......

These worries caused your dumbfucktitude.

Congratulations?
You're an idiot.

Why would I bring my son if I thought I could back up to a dead animal?

Think. Then post.

Travis
You're an idiot.

Why would I bring my son if I thought I could back up to a dead animal?

Think. Then post.

Travis

I quoted this, to hi lite your low IQ.......again. Thanks.

( he's the DD, Nancy)

I found it funny that shrapnel thought I would abandon my son on the mountain.

Why would I risk the loss of my designated driver, meat hauler, pickpocket, garbage taker-outter, etc?

Just silly.

Travis
A handsome gypsy.

You are all on ignore.

Travis

True.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
latrine shovel operator...

After letting that dog of his ride all the way to Bozeman in the cab of the truck, he beat the holy living bejeebers out of it when it got out of the cab and peed on his nice rims on the truck. I never saw a human bite a dog on the ear before...
That's how I demonstrate that I am the Alpha.

Worked on my kids, so I tried it on the dog. I see no reason to stop.

Travis
Here is Travis selling a motorhome....
This thread is starting to take an ugly turn.

Posted By: NTG Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
I love it when you're all in "rare form". Very humorous.
I found it funny that shrapnel thought I would abandon my son on the mountain.

He's a smart kid........

Maybe he was trying to abandon you.......I know the dog is.
Yeah, if Flave beat the dog for pissing on the rims of the Boyota, I'm gonna call PETA on him.

Pissing on that truck would be an improvement.

Told you the thread was taking an ugly turn.... grin
Originally Posted by NTG
I love it when you're all in "rare form". Very humorous.

No, this is serious.

There is no telling where he would have bit the dog if he had two or three beers...

I saw at least four beer cans and five SPAM cans fly out of the Boyota on the way past Bob's house.

It's not a passion. Its an obsession.
Yeah, if Flave beat the dog for pissing on the rims of the Boyota, I'm gonna call PETA on him.

I used my dong. So, it wasn't much of a beating.

Travis

No, this is serious.

There is no telling where he would have bit the dog if he had two or three beers...

When he was a puppy he thought it was cute to run after some calves. A right hook to his head made his legs more than a little wobbly. Out came the LCR, a solid leg against the throat ensured I'd have proper shot placement. (provided I had the right ammo)

Then I remembered how much he cost. So I bought a shock collar instead.

Travis

Travis

[Linked Image]
Jeebus-

That fella is in rough shape.
You pass him on the way to the range, Shrap?

I remember that night. That was one of the strangest strippers I'd ever met.

Things healed nicely by the way. Thanks for asking.

Travis
Posted By: add Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
At least she left the wee-jiggly intact.
Originally Posted by add
At least she left the wee-jiggly intact.

It needed resuscitation.

Travis
Anesthesia, now you know the rest of the story...
It's a powerful thing.

Travis
GLOCK! GLOCK! GLOCK!

That always cracks me up.

GFY.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

[Linked Image]

I have had no trouble believing (and enjoying)every part of this story so far. Carry on, I'm sure many other nefarious deeds were committed by this man that need to be brought to light so that we can all be properly amused horrified.
Originally Posted by wageslave
GLOCK! GLOCK! GLOCK!

That always cracks me up.

GFY.

The dog thought it was funny too.

(not really)

GFY.

Travis
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

Travis

I pea on the corners of the furniture. Seems to get the message across.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Well, pretty obvious that Shrap's a heck of a good guy. Kudos.

Travis, we've all been there. Shrug it off, Schitt happens. I remember this one time at band camp.....no, um, hunting camp. Went down the hill (big hill!) after a caribou. Aim, safety off...click! Fugg! Had a bunch of rounds with bad primers. Caribou gets away and about that time my stomach starts to gurgle. Did I have my pack or even my fanny pack with "supplies"? Hell no, was just gonna wack the caribou and have the guys come pick me up (rule was if you killed something you got a ride back to camp, no kill you walked back up "the hill." Had to walk back to camp with no caribou and only half of a tee-shirt! Schitt REALLY does happen!

Don't feel bad.

Gruff straight schit his pants walking down a sidewalk in Havre.

He really mastered the duck walk that night.

Travis

I'd consider that.

If I lived in a trailer.

And bought my furniture at IKEA.

But I don't, so GFY.

Travis
Posted By: smokepole Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
I just have one question. If the gun didn't fire, then how was it your first elk?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

I'd consider that.

If I lived in a trailer.

And bought my furniture at IKEA.

But I don't, so GFY.
Travis

Hey pal, don't get all high and mighty with me, I've seen photos of your Toyota. And your make believe wife and little bitty baby. Poser.
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just have one question. If the gun didn't fire, then how was it your first elk?

You need to update your location to read: "Oregon."

Thanks,

Hey pal, don't get all high and mighty with me, I've seen photos of your Toyota.

4X4

Longbed

You gals can dream, but it's all mine.

Travis
Dude,
not sure what you are in pursuit of this weekend,
but if you are packing the two fitty I can run over some .204 ammo to keep the thread alive.
Call me.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14

You need to update your location to read: "Oregon."

Thanks,

What's this obsession with Organs?
Dude,
but if you are packing the two fitty I can run over some .204 ammo to keep the thread alive.
Call me.

I'm going with the .44 Special and a pocket full of .38's.

But thanks.

Travis

What's this obsession with Organs?

They're super-smart.

Travis
Are you going back for another try?
The invitational is still in effect. Too many people put short time constraints on things. This could take years...
True, he puts short in his pants also.

Hey pal, don't get all high and mighty with me, I've seen photos of your Toyota.

4X4

Longbed

Travis

4x4

Longbed

So GFY.
The invitational is still in effect. Too many people put short time constraints on things. This could take years...

Laffin'. Mini 'flave is lovin' it.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
Dude,
Call me.

But thanks.

Travis

When I first read this sad adventure I was wondering, what with it being Flave and all, why he didn't whip out his �ber 97 and go all Elmer Keith on that elk's ass....
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/21/14
Dude,
Call me.

But thanks.

Travis

When I first read this sad adventure I was wondering, what with it being Flave and all, why he didn't whip out his �ber 97 and go all Elmer Keith on that elk's ass....

Shrapnel didn't have 5 miles of steel cable to haul it out and Travis didn't have enough time to let it suffer until the next morning.
Dude,
Call me.

But thanks.

Travis

This is from the Invitational thread previous to this particular debacle. It was made clear about morphodite guns and the ability to bring them...

#9323332 - 11/09/14 01:51 PM Re: Elk Hunting Invitational [Re: deflave]
shrapnel
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Bozeman, MT

OK, you are invited, but no plastic stocks or stainless guns allowed...
If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post
Travis

Now I know why you wanted that brass.

FYI them .243's will go bang I'm your '08, but accuracy might look like BGG on a beer box.

Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
Originally Posted by SLM

Shrap no longer answers my PM's. Or phone calls. Or texts...

Travis
True, he puts short in his pants also.

I'm a no-nude.

Travis
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

4x4

Longbed

So GFY.

Some people get it.

And none of those people are from Texas.

Travis

I got a speech about "too much weight" before walking out.

Travis
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Travis

Now I know why you wanted that brass.

FYI them .243's will go bang I'm your '08, but accuracy might look like BGG on a beer box.

He flinches. A lot.

Travis
Posted By: add Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

4X4

Longbed

Non-factory seating for 4 + a pooch

Travis
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

4X4

Longbed

Travis

You got me. 1978 here.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
Somehow I don't believe its David's first experience with being undersized for a chamber.

Hotdog down a hallway.

Prayers sent.
Originally Posted by SLM

Shrap no longer answers my PM's. Or phone calls. Or texts...

Travis

Hmmm...did you tip your guide?
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
The guide went for breakfast......alone

Should have taken mini Flave though.....

You got me. 1978 here.

[Linked Image]

Those 2 wheel drive pickups are really cool.

If you're unemployed.

Travis
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Hmmm...did you tip your guide?

No.

But that's only because he stole my wallet.

Travis

Shrapnel doesn't eat breakfast.

Unless he does.

I learned that early.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

I got a speech about "too much weight" before walking out.

Travis

Some people may think this is all a story made up for the readers, but every bit of it is true. Travis opened up a 60 pound backpack and in that pack was another sub-compartment with a monster stainless steel gun that would work as an anchor on the rivers during fishing season. I told him to pare down his weight and if he needed a handgun, I had just the ticket.

He passed on it and the Weatherby, came down off the mountain several hours later, tired, hungry and sans elk...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

Unless he does.

I learned that early.

Travis

This is also true, I told Travis we couldn't waste time getting breakfast when we are elk hunting. Once he was elk hunting, I went for breakfast...
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

Unless he does.

I learned that early.

Travis

This is also true, I told Travis we couldn't waste time getting breakfast when we are elk hunting. Once he was elk hunting, I went for breakfast...

grin

Beautiful Smitty, Shrap...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

Those 2 wheel drive pickups are really cool.

If you're unemployed.

Travis

Yeah yeah, but I got rid of the steel wheels on mine in like 1980. AND, that's an Ironman Hawaii sticker in the back window, so it passes for Uber.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
I was gone hunting for a few days and this thread added 10 more pages.

So is Travis taking another whack at wapiti hunting before the season ends? After all, counting today there are 9 days left.

So is Travis taking another whack at wapiti hunting before the season ends? After all, counting today there are 9 days left.

I have a cow tag for just south of town. Waiting on the thumbs up from two different sources.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
If you take the right bullets, it can turn into a schittload of work....just saying'......
Posted By: wageslave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14

I have a cow tag for just south of town. Waiting on the thumbs up from two different sources.

Travis

Maybe will it to Mini-Flave real quick.
We need the meat and he's a proven killer.
Posted By: CRS Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/22/14
Travis,
You brought the wrong rifle, you were really just trying to up the stunt shooting to another level, right?

A 22-250 on elk has to be an uber stunt. Unless you are Scenar...
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/23/14

If I was half a second quicker on the trigger that whitetail would have been mine...

Travis
Originally Posted by CRS

A 22-250 on elk has to be an uber stunt.

I got a speech about that too.

Travis
If you take the right bullets, it can turn into a schittload of work....just saying'......

You only think that because you were born two centuries ago.

Travis
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/23/14

If I was half a second quicker on the trigger that whitetail would have been mine...

Travis

If if if.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by CRS

A 22-250 on elk has to be an uber stunt.

I got a speech about that too.

Travis

Another true story. I told him of the ridiculousness of fast twist, long bullets and slow velocity. I don't think he was moved by that speech, however...
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/23/14
To the top. For the Uber 22-250-08 crowd
Well here's another question, flave when you got back to shrap's truck did you set on a bucket in the bed and slide the rear window open like a catholic at confessional or did you walk right up to him and plead for forgiveness?

Be glad you didn't have .308 ammo then you'd be taking a DNA test to see see if ole' shrap was your pappy in kaboom!

GFY, Go For Yotes~

Great story...who's he calling a pollock?

laugh
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/24/14
I just confessed as plainly as I could. I only lie I could be charged criminally or administratively. Otherwise, I have nothing to hide.

Yotes and birds have been good to me this season. Big game? Can't end soon enough... grin.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/24/14
There are still over 200 head of elk, unmolested on that mountain. I watch it at least once a week. Maybe next year at the invitational something or someone will change...
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/24/14
Maybe next year at the invitational something or someone will change...

Words hurt.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/24/14

I actually thought I hid that in that sentence pretty good, but not good enough...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/24/14
I liked it.

A lot.
Shrap seems like you should have lots of locals knocking on your door for a honey hole like that!

Flave, you are alright in my book..put it out there and take it like a man!

Mike
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14
Re: Grizzlies hunting hunters. [Re: MILES58]
eyeball
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: MILES58
If crows and eagles are smart enough to home in on a shot to get the leftovers, why would we we expect less of a bear?

A bear could really become enraged if followed Col Travis on an elk hunt?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14
Re: Grizzlies hunting hunters. [Re: MILES58]
eyeball
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: MILES58
If crows and eagles are smart enough to home in on a shot to get the leftovers, why would we we expect less of a bear?

A bear could really become enraged if followed Col Travis on an elk hunt?

Not to mention hungry...
There are still over 200 head of elk, unmolested on that mountain. I watch it at least once a week. Maybe next year at the invitational something or someone will change...

I think you could make big bucks taking a certain fire member elk hunting - again. wink
Col Travis, this reminds me of my first deer hunt with Dad a long time ago. I was about three years old and we climbed a steep high ridge above the Pecos River. He had borrowed a long range rig from a pal on an oil rig. Marlin lever 30-30 but it had one of them new fang led things called a scope. A little buck came by down in the flat and Dad missed it. I remember the heartbreak and I'll never forget it.

Tell little Travy I'm sorry and I hope he gets over it. frown

repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

I wonder if the inability to match roll stamps with head stamps is a MT thing, or are you originally from Tejas, or maybe Oregon?
Chitt happens to guys who leave Texas and move to Montanny. Some start chasing sheep and some go tranny.
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14
Col Travis, this reminds me of my first deer hunt with Dad a long time ago. I was about three years old and we climbed a steep high ridge above the Pecos River. He had borrowed a long range rig from a pal on an oil rig. Marlin lever 30-30 but it had one of them new fang led things called a scope. A little buck came by down in the flat and Dad missed it. I remember the heartbreak and I'll never forget it.

Tell little Travy I'm sorry and I hope he gets over it. frown

I fail to see how you can compare a schitty hunt in Texas, to a great hunt in Montana.

Travis
Originally Posted by 4321

I wonder if the inability to match roll stamps with head stamps is a MT thing, or are you originally from Tejas, or maybe Oregon?

Uh-oh. Another creepy fugg that created a new account just to talk about me.

If you had a vagina, I'd be flattered.

Travis

There aren't 5 guys total, on the Campfire that could have pulled this hunt off. After a few more pages, I may reveal more about this hunt than anyone reading this could possibly ever guess...
why wait?
Posted By: wageslave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14
Uh, can anyone with two fitty ammo in an 08?

grin
Posted By: SLM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14

There aren't 5 guys total, on the Campfire that could have pulled this hunt off. After a few more pages, I may reveal more about this hunt than anyone reading this could possibly ever guess...

Spill your guts.
Originally Posted by SLM

Spill your guts.

That is really a question for Travis...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/25/14
I've been think about mule deer, Aoudad, or bufflers next year. But I've never hunted elk, and it would be "uber" to get one on the first try... smile
There is always another invitational...
I've been fielding questions for you.

That keeps me at the top of the invite list.

Travis
C'mon spill it deflave what makes it a 5-man possible hunt?

Mike
Fugg it flave if you are anything like me you walked out of there thinking, Yeah I fugged up but nobody could have fugged this up better than I did.

Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
C'mon spill it deflave what makes it a 5-man possible hunt?

Mike

You, you, you mean I might be in the running for hunting with Travis? Hell, I can pack bullets. smile
Posted By: johnw Re: Travis And His First Elk - 11/27/14
Congratulations on the elk, 'Flave...

And great hunting story. How many beers were you down after the hunt when you came up with the story???
Posted By: isaac Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/08/14
Great thread.

Made for a great start to a Monday morning.

Posted By: jwp475 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/08/14

No one could have pulled it of better than flave, given the adversity of the hunt.
Posted By: okok Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/08/14

The End.

Travis

I'm in tears reading this. LMAO!
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/09/14
Col Travis, we are not laughing at you. We are laughing, oh fugg it, at you. wink

We have been waiting for the finish where you got your elk. Now feeling
sorry you apparently didn't.

Sorry to hear you took the wrong gun. frown
I'm trying to figure out why he didn't make friends with one of those home owners and shoot one from their back porch. Either that or wait till evening when they come in to feed with the cows.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/24/14
Reading this thread sure makes me thankful which is a good thing to be this time of the year.. smile
Originally Posted by okok

The End.

Travis

I'm in tears reading this. LMAO!

I'm sure Travis was in tears when he was writing it too... whistle laugh
Damn good thing that 22-250 didn't go off in that bbl and did indeed, gut or ass-shot that fat cow , They'd still be out there lookin' fer the pore thing !

Maybe not directly related, But a goof-up nonetheless -------

At the ripe young age of 17 my pal Joe & I were going to do a one dayer up in the mtns and were gonna drive up the nite before and sleep in the car til hunt time .
Joe showed up about 6 pm (dark & snowin like hell} the nite before and came in the house to chat with my Mom while I loaded my stuff in his car.
My first trip was an armload of blankets, & huntin clothes and on the way out the door, I reached down & hooked my boot laces (tied together) with a finger under the clothes to carry them to the car. Keep in mind it was snowin' like crazy.
Went back in to find Joe in a long discussion with Mom ! Finally , out we went into the storm ,piled into the car , and off we went.
Got up into the Mtns fell asleep a few hrs and got up to don our hunt gear ,and lo & behold , my boots were not anywhere in the car ! I had worn a pair of shoes on the way up, but I did have a couple pairs extra of tall Boot socks . Well , after a moment or two of cussin' & contemplation , I pulled the boot socks right on over the shoes, and into the woods we went! We followed the trail in about a mile & when it ended , the snow got really deep ,so I took a stand right off the trail. Joe took off to my left , and went on in farther. 'Bout a half hour passed, and another hunter comes in along the trail,now being full daylight, He takes one look at me standin'there in the socks and just walks away shakin' his head! Couple hours later a nice Buck comes toward me from the way He went in , and I dropped him right close to the trail!
We got home late, hung the Deer,and when Joe left, I hit the sack.
When I got up the next morning, my Mom informed me that one of my Dad's hunt buddies had come by the nite before to drop off some venison from an earlier hunt. When I looked around for my boots and couldn't find them, I started to think back, and recalled carryin' 'em out to the car the nite before .
Out I went with the snow shovel , and sure enuf, in short order uncovered my boots containing a pair of wool socks in each one, along with a thermos of coffee & one of vegetable soup in them; All smashed to bits inside the boots, from bein' run over , TWICE
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 12/27/14
Great story
So.... Has an elk been tagged yet? Surely there's a heroic story of redemption to end this.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/09/15
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I'm trying to figure out why he didn't make friends with one of those home owners and shoot one from their back porch. Either that or wait till evening when they come in to feed with the cows.

Col Travis likes to do it the hard way. You know, givem a freakin chance in this age of long range hihg powered telescopic gun rifle scope sights.

Some hunters of his skill prefer actions designed to limit their kill rather than being game hogs like Shrapnel who shoot for shooting their limit and using equipment appropriately designed for doing so.

Col Travis could have taken advantage of guns offered by Shrapnel but he took the road less traveled in order to give the game a sporting chance.

Rarely can any other hunter say he takes such a road less traveled.
Posted By: RJM Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/09/15
Travis...this was almost as good as the Zombie PrairieDog that got away..almost... You did get the practice target I sent you...

This is God speaking to you in both instances...DITCH ALL THE OTHER GUNS AND USE THE .22-250!!!

Bob
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/09/15
I thought I locked this thread?

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/09/15
You have to go through me to do that. Im a mod.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/09/15
Should've locked it in 2014, it was a shoe-in for best thread-of-the-year.

Who knows what 2015 will bring?
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/10/15
I thought I locked this thread?

Travis

We liked this thread too. Thanks Shrapnel.
Posted By: deflave Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/10/15
You guys act like a blew up an irreplaceable firearm.

It wasn't that big of a deal.

Travis
We'll be talking about it for another 11 months. Or at least until you've proven to us you can shoot an elk... laugh

I just want to add, that I have faith in you. I also believe your buddy Shrappy set you up for failure right from the get go....

Better luck this year!!!
Candidate for the GAYEST thread ever.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/11/15
definitely some odd folks around here..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/13/15
Should've locked it in 2014, it was a shoe-in for best thread-of-the-year.

Who knows what 2015 will bring?

Without a doubt!!!

This is classic...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/13/15
Just don't use the fireforming loads next year.
Posted By: NTG Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/13/15
What was the preferred round for hunting elk again...it's slipped my memory...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Just don't use the fireforming loads next year.

I'm pretty sure he's gone to cream of wheat, for elk anyway.
Can I come next year? I will carry the rifle and ammo - like a good gun bearer.....and the ammo will work

wink

GREAT story.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/19/15
I'm still waiting to hear what cream of wheat load Travis recommends for BIG BULLS!
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/24/15
So, Shrapnel has to provide elk meat for the Clark kids i guess. Sad.
Shrapnel, due to the title of this thread many fire memberd have been mislead into thinking Clark had eventually killed one (to wit: elke) dead.

Unfortunately the passsge of time reveals that esteemed position has as of yet been for all pracaticle purposes been unmet.

With respect to this unfortunate circumstance proving literary malfiesance i request that the midleading and innacurate title of your thread be at the least reconstructed to read something less misleading and certainly more accurate such as "Travis and his first elk punt" (or similar) which as you can easily see most represents the facts of true history.
Posted By: NTG Re: Travis And His First Elk - 01/24/15
Travis, I'm curious how does an under inflated ball effect a "punt" in your experience? Just wondering... Oh, not a Patriot?

When the powder fails to confligurate, the bullet fails to penetrate and no elk meat makes it to the dinner plate?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/11/15

This needs to be propped up again, just before Travis finds his first bear this weekend when he goes hiking in the wilderness...
Posted By: Razz Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
Please don't tell us he is going hiking in Yellowstone to take pictures of the bison and "feed" the bears!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15

That is what he is up to. I gave him a pep talk about getting eaten when camping in Grizzly country. If he packs enough heat, he may just get his first bear up there. Bears have eluded him much like the elk...
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
I advised him to practice his bear burrito impressions in his sleeping bag so that he would sleep better. He responded that he would be using a hammock. Would that be a bear pinata?

mike r
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15

Actually, I think he is baiting, he invited a friend from out of state to go along...
Posted By: callnum Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
You all kill cows on purpose?

We leave them for kids and old folks. Fact.
Posted By: laker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
Originally Posted by callnum

Give me a cow every year.
Posted By: jimy Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
Angus?
Posted By: laker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
Originally Posted by jimy
Angus?

Grass fed? I'd take one of those every year as well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/12/15
Apparently some Montanans aren't manly enough to HAVE to kill bulls every year, whether raghorns or 6-points.

Actually, I think he is baiting, he invited a friend from out of state to go along...

Did you tell him to wear a porkchop around his neck??
Originally Posted by laker

Give me a cow every year.

Same here..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15

When he was a kid, you can bet he had playing cards clothes pinned to his bicycle spokes...
Posted By: callnum Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15
Guess if you can't find a bull,,,,,
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15
Boy, you are a manly one, aren't you?

My bet is Shrapnel has bigger bulls on the wall than you do, but even if he doesn't, who cares?
Posted By: laker Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15

My family and I rely on that meat to make us through the year. No way am I passing on a cow so I can find a rag horn to shoot.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15
I will shoot a bull in October if a cow doesn't give me a shot first! Like above we eat the meat not just have jerky and summer sausage made to take to work.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15
Apparently some Montanans aren't manly enough to BE ABLE TO KILL AN ELK, MUCH LESS bulls every year, whether raghorns or 6-points.
FIXED IT, MH. wink
Posted By: eyeball Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15

This needs to be propped up again, just before Travis finds his first bear this weekend when he goes hiking in the wilderness...

Is he taking a gun fer pertection? Uh, never mind. Does he have pepper spray?
Originally Posted by laker

My family and I rely on that meat to make us through the year. No way am I passing on a cow so I can find a rag horn to shoot.

Same here except I put in for cow tags every year and build up preference points until I get one about every 5 years. General season bulls taste real good, but that's not ever guaranteed in the 3% hunters success area I hunt. When I get any "bull" in this area it's a good one!! Even the tasty spikes laugh
Posted By: SKane Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/13/15

crazy I'm guessing it wasn't all that long ago that you only communicated in clicks and grunts.

Posted By: 1Nut Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/15/15
Classic.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/16/15
Travis on a bear hunt?! Oh this ought be great!!! Must have updates on the latest blunders.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/16/15

Just what we need. Another macho asswipe.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Travis And His First Elk - 08/21/15
unfortunately there are lots of macho azzwipes around.

I wouldn't kill a bull unless it was a good one or one that needed to go, prefering to let em pass along genes until they are big enough for the wall...

We have passed lots of legal bulls looking for a cow...

Just what we need. Another macho asswipe.

I though he was just another asswipe. Nothing "macho" about that puzzy...
© 24hourcampfire