Originally Posted by bigswede358
Plus 1 on aging. My wife and I usually hang our big game 6 to 14 days weather permitting. I think it takes some of the toughness out so to speak. One or both of us usually shoots a rutted up, run down buck every year. Out of countless animals only ever had one that I couldn't eat.

As far as not tasting gamey, WHY?

Game animals taste gamey, isn't that the point. If a person didn't want to taste game, eat farm critters.

i guess there is gamey and then there is gamey...dont mind how deer and such usually tastes without doing any of the soaking in milk ect some do..i dont try and make it taste like beef or any of that.....but also dont like the heavy livery taste when you over cook wild game or when the meat hasnt been properly cared for(cooled down quick ect).....if you did to beef what alot of people do to wild game before you butcher it it would prolly not taste all that great either....i cant believe what i see some people do to pronghorn in our usually warm first few weeks of the season and then complain when it tastes like an old goat smells.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books