Just received the rifle that was ordered via Whittaker Guns, the shop of ShortActionSmoker...

I've owned a Ruger American for the last year or so, in 223.. it is their Predator Model...1 in 8 twist, 4 round detachable magazine...very very accurate shooter....

now I can set it side by side with the Howa 1500 in their new Super Short Action...

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/276

[img]https://shop.whittakerguns.com/api/v1/e/locker/id/563d066a77fc000414c58b8b[/img]

Sitting them side by side to compare them quickly shows there is no comparison...

Ruger's weak spots are the flimsy feeling stock and the questionable quality 4 round magazine, that is awfully short...where one has to seat heavier bullets that the faster twist is meant for, fairly deep into the case...

The Howa on the flip side...the stock is good and solid...the trigger right out of the box breaks crisper and lighter than the adjusted one of the American...

comparing magazines.... Ruger's 4 round mag has been a weak point...don't feel well, poor quality, too short...

Howa is supplying a 10 round mag with theirs, light polymer but definitely a lot more attention to quality..

the rifle is available in both a 20 inch barrel in what they list as a number one contour....

and in a 22 inch barrel listed as a number 2 contour...I ended up picking up the latter...

The Ruger supplies a 1 in 8 twist barrel and is threaded for a suppressor....the Howa is NOT threaded for a suppressor, so that would be a gun smith mod... and it has a one in 9 twist...

the Howa's mag will easily take a cartridge the length that the Cotis Mag modification will...

if you are looking for extra mags, the Rugers are $40 from Ruger... and an extra 10 round mag is $50 from Legacy...

Ruger's mag is a rotary like on the 10/22s...

Howa's is the much simpler spring and stacked...less to go wrong..

will follow up with some range target pics when I get it out to the range...but I doubt I'll be disappointed in the Howa's accuracy...haven't been disappointed in any other Howa I've ever shot.. that's for darn sure...

Whittaker shipped the rifle to my local FFL guy for $345 on the door step and insured...and very quick turn around..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez