I don't see a place for the 6.8 SPC in the arsenal. It's been over-hyped, the velocities are not as published, and there have been problems with accuracy, according to Remington as published in Rifle magazine.

There's always a problem with trying to fit a larger bullet into the same size magazine, supply-wise. I doubt the 6.8 would chamber in a 5.56, but I'm not so sure a 5.56 wouldn't chamber in a 6.8 and cause problems. I suppose this problem could be over come, broomhandle Mausers switched over to 9mm had a large, red number "9" engraved on the grips. But a magazine that's not instantly recognizable could cause problems, both in supply and in the field.

I agree the M 16 is hard to follow. I don't see anything out there now that's significantly better than it is. Some a shorter, some are more compact, but I think there will have to be a major paradigm shift before the rifle as a weapon is vastly improved.

Without a new super-special round, or a new super-efficient loading system, I just don't see a change in store. Could be wrong, though.

I also think the problems that exist now with the M 16 are the same as always...the round. That "penetrator" round is reportedly inaccurate and it doesn't yaw or tumble because the core is steel. For me, I'd go back to a 55 gr. bullet that does some damage when it hits and forget relying on the doubtful penetration power of so light a round. At least until the enemy starts wearing body armor.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06