Gene,

According to my notes, we�re both right on the 6.8SPC. (please understand that for me to remember conversations that are two years old, is a big stretch, mentally challenged as I am.)

The 6.8SPC came out of the SCAR project when it was realized that the 7.62x39 offered better penetration through barriers and better stopping power in close quarters battle*. At the direction of the 5th Special Forces Group, �they� were to investigate a cartridge that would out perform both the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 (ERC � Enhanced Rifle Cartridge), which is how we ended up with the 6.8SPC.

The people in charge of the development were:

M/Sgt Steve Holland (5th SFG)
Cris Murray (R&D Gunsmith AMU)
Troy Lawton (Chief Ballistics Technician � AMU)

Accuracy, excessive port pressures, and pre-mature wear were problems encountered with the 6.8SPC, but those problems have been dealt with. One must understand that this is a cartridge in its absolute infancy and, for the most part, it does improve upon the performance of the 7.62x39 and 5.56. But I keep coming back to the same question; is it enough better?

I like the cartridge because I think it�s a step in the right direction. We should have been using a true assault rifle cartridge years ago. I think the cartridge has merit and could use further development. Unfortunately, I�m quite certain that it is dead as a door nail at this point.

*not to imply the 6.8SPC is a CQB cartridge only. It was developed to provide enhanced rifle performance out to 600 yards.