John,

I hear what you're saying, and agree with you 100%, but I can see the dilemma that good folks get into. You load and prepare for the longest range you can ethically shoot, and then the shooter elk pops up at 50 to 175 yds. So what are you going to do? Unload the ABLR's in your rifle and stuff in some NPT's? Or go with the NPT's loaded, in case a shorter range shot presents itself, and be prepared to unload and reload with the ABLR's for a longer shot (which USUALLY is much less hurried)?

This assumes that you've got a scope has really repeatable adjustments and you've got enough experience and practice with it to be able to make the necessary adjustments expediently in the field, OR you know exactly what the differences in POI are between the two ammo types and can adjust your hold accordingly.

OR you can be disciplined enough to pass on ALL shots less than say... 400 or 500 yds - whatever is appropriate for the ABLR.

That's too much banjo work for me and my decrepit ol' brain. I'll just stick with one ammo type in the field that I know is good from zero out to around 500 yds, and govern myself accordingly.

Thanks for your input John!

Tim

Last edited by Skeezix; 11/23/15.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)