Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by pointer
Coyote Hunter- Think a higher BC bullet would have helped you last year?

Along those lines, CH you've mentioned that last years was not the only elk that you have left wounded in the field.

It seems like these long winded lectures of shooting advice to others are preposterous given your own sad history.

Get your facts right. Last year was the first and ***only*** time I've wounded and lost an elk and I’ve never lost a deer or antelope.

That elk was at 400 yards and left the largest blood trail I’ve ever seen, starting with several thick, dark ribbons 2-3 inches wide and 2 feet or more in length. Evidence from brush on both sides of the trail indicated a pass through high but under the spine and the dark color of the blood suggested a liver hit. While I wasn’t happy about it then and still am not, losing one animal since I started hunting big game in 1982 is not a perfect record but it isn’t half bad, either.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.