Originally Posted by tsquare
Chet,

I had to opportunity to look over and photograph your action, or one identical to it, during a visit to Echols shop in May, 2014. I went over it from stem to stern and it was as good as a G33/40 can be made to be. Burgess metalwork leaves nothing lacking. He was a true genius and his likes will not come this way again anytime soon. I would have loved to bring that action home with me but D'Arcy never let me with the action out of his sight. The reason for my trip, other than to visit with an old friend, was to gather information on Burgess for an article I was writing for Gun Digest on the man and his work. That article, including a photo of your action, is published in the current edition of Gun Digest that came out last July. Shown here is one of the images of the action.

[Linked Image]

As far as the completed rifle being described as "plain," there is a style for every taste. In my world, I would call it elegant.

TT

Yes, that is my action. I will have to get a copy of the Gun Digest issue to keep with the rifle.

It is a very traditional looking rifle, no doubt. Like Jack O'Connor said, "I like my rifle stocks in a classic pattern and my women un-tattoo'd" or something to that effect. grin

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen