Originally Posted by RevMike
Hi John:

I just got back from a conference in Orlando and found the books I ordered had arrived, safe and sound as usual. Many thanks to Eileen who, I assume, is the shipping department. As soon as I finish Bror Blixen's biography, I plan to start your two books on "the hunt" (packaging them together is a good idea, by the way). I also read a couple of chapters of "Gack." Good stuff! I see why Ingwe started this thread.

One of the comments you made in the chapter on the .280 Remington raised a question in my mind. You mention that the 120 grain NBT has a beefed up jacket that helps it stay together and has turned it into a respectable medium/big game bullet. Did Nosler do that with all of the non-varmint ballistic tips, i.e., beef up the jackets a bit? The only one you mentioned in the "Gack" chapter is the 120. The reason I'm asking is that I ran across a bunch of 150 grain BTs (actually, Ballistic Silver Tips) and plan to use them on pigs, some of which can get to be pretty danged big, and even though the ranges aren't terribly long (all well below 100 yards) I still need something that will hold together a bit but at the same time create enough damage to assure that whatever I hit - in the right place, of course - is DRT. There's almost no way to track something in the terrain I hunt. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. That palmetto behind me is solid for almost a mile. I'm finding that monos are just a tad too tough to create the cup-and-core wound channels I like.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, as always.

RM

Damn!

Thats a good looking rifle! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe