Originally Posted by TwoTrax

For those that have hunted pigs with the 6.8 SPC and the 223/5.56, how much more effective is the 6.8 SPC than the 223/5.56 on pigs? Center mass shots. The cover is very thick and it sure is nice to "stop" them before they get too far in that stuff.

The 308/270 loads were very effective at putting them down with center mass shots. The farthest one made tracks was about 40 yards and I did hit that one back just a bit farther than I should have. My thoughts are the 223/5.56 maybe not so good unless a head/spine shot is taken, especially on a larger hog. How much better would the 6.8 be?

My son and I went to Texas last year. It was my third trip down hog hunting.

I took a 223 w/ 65 gr SGKs for my son & my 257 AI w/ 90 gr GMXs and my 6-250 loaded w/ 90 gr NBTs.

The night we arrived I talked to the ranch owner who said that the 223 was great if a perfect head shot was guaranteed but for my son he thought the 6-250 and a guaranteed exit left a better margin.

He uses a 22 Hornet on a regular basis but he kills me and leaves em.

The 6-250 did great by Elijah; he made two perfect shots, with one second shot for the sake of grace not of necessity.

The 257 & fast monos did wonderfully also.

I'd go SPC.