Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by Bugger
I believe that people aught to shoot groups standing with cross sticks if they use them or without sticks to see what accuracy they will have in the field. If they only go by bench rest accuracy off sand bags, they should bring the bench and sand bags when their hunting.

I site in and work up loads from a bench rest. Then I practice with a stick and offhand to see how poor I really am. I've noted I shoot about 1-2 inches higher and groups spread some in offhand at 100 yards than with the rifle on a bench rest. With a shooting stick is much better.
This might be startling or disappointing to anyone who hasn't tried it before. I have a whole different head/rifle/elbow orientation on the bench than offhand. I just accept it and practice.
Offhand an hasty sling or the offhand position I was taught at PI help.
Public ranges usually won't let you shoot with a stick or offhand though. Another good reason to join your local club.

I really assumed by this day and time folks would know that an offhand zero and a slung up sitting or prone zero can be different.

And that just because the gun is on for me, doesnt' mean its on for you.

My best friend and I are consistently 3/4 inch off of each other. I forget which direction but its horizontal.... not enough to matter at 100 though even with head shots, but we've confirmed it often enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....