Originally Posted by drover
I just came back in from shooting some 22 lr, the rifles used were a CZ 452 American and a Ruger American Rimfire. Both rifles had 3x9 scopes and I used three different hunting ammo in both of them (since they are both gopher hunting rifles I could not see any point in using match grade ammo). The CZ consistently shot better groups than the RAR. Yes, I realize these are samples of one, but the main difference is that the CZ just feels more solid. The CZ trigger, with a Yo Dave kit in it, feels better to me than the RAR with the safety shoe but overall the CZ trigger just feels better - it is hard to explain beyond that. The RAR trigger has had a spring change and is set at 1-3/4 lbs, the same weight as the CZ.

To me the CZ seems to be a better built rifle overall and I can understand why your friend is attracted to it over the RAR. The CZ feels more like an adult sized rifle whereas the RAR feels more like a child's rifle.

My advice to him would be to save a few more dollars and get what he really wants. If he chooses not to the RAR is certainly a decent option but I doubt that he will ever be as happy with it as he would be with the CZ. I believe that Whittakers will do lay-aways so that may appeal to him if money is tight.

drover

I ordered a RAR and all of a sudden whitikers came out with the 452s and I bought one because of the reputation and the enablers here pointed me at it.

Just went through scope mounting and trying a few loads, but its obvious the cz is the better gun. The RAR does a good job too, but it doesnt compare sxs. I'll say I dont care for the feel of the ruger trigger.

Save up for a cz if he can still buy one. I'm almoste
tempted to sell all my 22's except the cz and keep the RAR for farm truck duty.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?