Bonefish,

Honestly the 6.5x47 is so damn efficient that you could go with a 20" barrel and not lose too much velocity.
You always hear that for every inch of barrel length lost you lose "x" amount of velocity.
This statement is BS and doesn't bear any weight or reason.

Some calibers are just very efficient and the old adage 25 FPS for every inch you cut a barrel back just doesn't hold true.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the shorter the barrel the more muzzle blast...It just loud.

I would bet that the difference between a 26" barrel and a 22" barrel is 50 FPS.

Ultimately you want a well balanced rifle. Well balanced rifles feel better, shoot better and are just better.

Shorter barrels are stiffer barrels. Stiffer barrels are more accurate barrels. No question.

Go with a little more "meat" in the shank area and cut is down to 22". It'll balance like a dream.

I am building my girlfriend a 6.5 CM and just got her barrel in today. Its a modified light palma contour, 22" finish length, .720" at the muzzle.

The unchambered barrel, Model 7 action, bolt, bottom metal, Manners EH6 and everything else weighed 6.5 lbs. Im guessing all said and done it'll weight 6.25 lbs after bedding.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I have 6.5x47 on a short barrel. You'll love it.

You won't miss or need another 30 FPS. Accuracy trumps speed all day every day.