Originally Posted by bonefish
Rifle will be in a McM Hunter stock with edge fill, Bighorn hunting action, Bartlein 2b contour, Aluminum bottom metal, and 1 inch Decelerator. I originally spec'd 24" to squeeze out some velocity. Would 22" balance better with this setup?

Jon built me a similar rifle in 6.5x47L. Mine's a Borden alpine action, Bartlein #2 contour, aluminum bottom metal and a Mcmillan hunter's edge stock with 1" decelerator pad.

I had him finish it at 22" and the shank length is 1". Bartlein doesn't say they'll make a #2 contour in 6.5 but I called Frank on the phone and he agreed after I pleaded my case. My rifle balances perfectly, in my opinion your rifle would be nose heavy with a 24" barrel in #2b contour. I wouldn't go more than 22" in a 6.5x47 hunting rifle, I long ago decided that the little bit of velocity gained from long barrels isn't even remotely worth having to put up with the extra barrel length. I don't like to go below 20" just because muzzle blast becomes obnoxious.

No way I'd do 24" on that rifle, and I'd have him shorten the shank to 1" or less.