Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by bonefish
Rifle will be in a McM Hunter stock with edge fill, Bighorn hunting action, Bartlein 2b contour, Aluminum bottom metal, and 1 inch Decelerator. I originally spec'd 24" to squeeze out some velocity. Would 22" balance better with this setup?

Jon built me a similar rifle in 6.5x47L. Mine's a Borden alpine action, Bartlein #2 contour, aluminum bottom metal and a Mcmillan hunter's edge stock with 1" decelerator pad.

I had him finish it at 22" and the shank length is 1". Bartlein doesn't say they'll make a #2 contour in 6.5 but I called Frank on the phone and he agreed after I pleaded my case. My rifle balances perfectly, in my opinion your rifle would be nose heavy with a 24" barrel in #2b contour. I wouldn't go more than 22" in a 6.5x47 hunting rifle, I long ago decided that the little bit of velocity gained from long barrels isn't even remotely worth having to put up with the extra barrel length. I don't like to go below 20" just because muzzle blast becomes obnoxious.

No way I'd do 24" on that rifle, and I'd have him shorten the shank to 1" or less.

Crow Hunter, Do you have a pic of that rifle? The shank will be 3/4" on this one. I will probably cut to 22". What velocities are you getting with 120-130's in your accurate loads? Very slightly nose heavy is okay with me, if not a plus in a hunting rifle. Overly nose heavy is a major PITA. I would rather have a heavier gun that was close to balanced than a lighter rifle that was very nose heavy. The ultralight stocks seem like a good idea until you match them up with a heavy, long barrel. I had a beautifully balanced NULA in 260 that I struggled holding still in field positions. Making a conscious move to a slightly heavier rifle.