Other than a very small # of artist (most of them never get heard on the radio), Country Music has been dead since the early 90s.
The record producers and radio stations are the guilty parties, but they've had plenty of help from the younger market.
I can't even stand to listen to the Country stations around here. Not to mention quite a few stores and restaurants play it too. If I'm exposed to that crap for a while, and turn on Waylon or Cash or Miss Patsy Cline, it just feels as if I'd been rolled in pig crap and then given a bath!!!
Country Music, much like the United States, has morphed into something that's no longer recognizable to those of us who grew up in it. Oh, they still celebrate the CMA awards and such, just like our government celebrates Independence Day. But it's no longer the thing it was meant to be. And the younger generation ain't got a clue what they're missing.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden