Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
High noon, if your are seriously considering getting into reloading you could go with the 9.3x62mm. That's one of my favorite cartridges. Very comparable to a 35 Whelen. I would buy Nosler partitions for very reasonable prices at SPS (shooters pro shop) if that's the kind of bullet you like. I've seen the blemished/seconds 286 gr. pills sell for less than $20.00/box. That's why you see many of my 10 shot and 5 shot groups posted here... laugh . Anyway, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other. Or for that matter, why a 200gr. nosler partition in the good ol 30-06 won't work as well as either of those 2 cartridges either. Hell, I might even try to steer you into getting a 338 win mag or 375 H&H since you are talking big critters. I like them all and shoot them all, can't say enough about all the bigger cartridges I enjoy shooting. Either way, it sounds like you are level headed enough to make a good decision...

bsa: Thanks. I’ve been planning on taking up reloading for many, many years. I have several books on reloading and a few manuals as well. I’ve even goon so far as to design my reloading bench. Unfortunately, life has taken precedence. Since I’ll basically be starting my life over upon my graduation, I plan to make several major changes. My life is more than half over and I’ve come to realize that I need to make the most of what time I have left. Part of that equation is doing more things I enjoy, which will include more shooting, hunting and reloading.

I’m aware of the ability a .30-06 with 200s or 220s. I am also aware of what my .270 M77 MKII loaded with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions is capable of. In my estimation, the 9.2x63 is a substantial jump in power over the .270 or even the .30-06. I am more of the school that believes in large chunks of lead thrown at moderate velocities.

Notwithstanding my .270, which is somewhat high-intensity, the recoil of the .338, which I view as high-intensity, is sharp and is at the limit of what I can easily tolerate. The .375 H&H is also a bit past my limit. What I like about both the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 is that they are not belted magnums and that the recoil is easier for me to tolerate. I have also shot a friends .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun w/ 350 grained pills and I found it to be manageable. If I’m honest with myself, I need to accept that as I get older, recoil will become more of an issue.

I am confident that when the time comes for me to purchase this rifle, I will make the right decision. I really can’t go wrong with either caliber, where I can go wrong is with the rifle I choose.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/27/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue