Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
The best thing about an ar is the 2 stage trigger. Changing to one stage gets rid of one of the best things about precision shooting a small target at distance in field conditions. At the range with a great rest the single stage is fine. The 2 stage dominates it in the field.

Only if "in the field" consists of small targets at distance.

if your not doing that then the crappy factory trigger will probably work fine. The other thing is if you want to shoot quickly you can always blow through the second stage like its not even there. the bolt gun comparison isn't an accurate one because if you have a bolt gun you have less shots to connect with so your more likely to be using a steadier rest. When the rest is steady your trigger matter less.

a small target at distance is a relative one. a coyote at 150 yards is a small target to me. a 12" gong at 250 yards is a small target to me. If your shooting these targets with your ar 15, which I do typically off shooting sticks, a 2 stage trigger IMO will out perform any single stage AR trigger.

If your blasting close range or playing around the crappy trigger that comes in a SKS rifle will do just fine. But we are talking aftermarket upgraded triggers in which case I would think most around here would be concerned with precision with.

as for bolt guns if I could get decent 2 stage triggers for them I might change them if I shot them typically from field type rests. All my field type shooting these days seems to be with AR rifles though so I will probably just keep using what I have.