Well this thread is just plumb full of fail.

1-A 7" target is not representative of a headshot. Hitting a 7" target has nothing at all to do with shooting somebody in the head.

I've seen exactly two people shot in the head, that weren't suicides with shotguns. Both lived. One appeared dead, then woke up and gave me such a fright that I nearly shot him myself. He walked to the ambulance, got a stitch and went home with a headache. A shot in a the hard parts of a skull aren't reliable head shots. The second was shot through the lower part of his face, below the eyes, with the bullet passing from the right side of his face to the left. Aside from nearly drowning in his own blood he was fine. In fact, I had to fight him into handcuffs. A shot in the parts of the head that don't contain brain or spinal column aren't reliable head shots.

A real, honest to goodness headshot is a shot that passes through the eye-nasal-ear-temple area and into the brain-spinal column. If you're shooting a 7" circle and calling that a head shot you're kidding yourself.

2-What target are we talking about that the military is using for head shots? Rost mentioned head / shoulders.....
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I don't see as I mentioned my shooting ability.

Actually, I said that you must make this sheit up.

Please provide credible sources on infantry riflemen transitioning from head to body shots at 500 yards.

Some credibilty should come from the fact that the short range to 300 targets have been head/shoulders silhouettes only. and the 500 out have been 3/4 full silhouettes....

Is this the target we're talking about? Because that head / shoulders target is 26" wide and 19" tall, although it tapers at the top. Even with the taper to the head shot, that's a giant target and definitely not representative of "head shots at 300".
[Linked Image]

3-As I said, yes...A head shot (a real head shot) at 300 yards is a small target, especially under field conditions, away from a bench or bipod. A real head shot is around 3".

So I don't know what all military guys are shooting 3" targets at 300 yards with 3MOA ammo, but I haven't seen any. And I've seen more than a few guys from the military on the range. In fact I was on the range this afternoon with a jarhead that repeatedly missed a torso sized piece of steel at 200 yards with a 4X ACOG. So apparently he missed "head shot day" in boot camp.

Originally Posted by BarryC
Do you consider heads @ 300 to be "small targets at distance"?
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'll play along....sure.

The military doesn't.

It's pretty well established since the days of the Krag that 300 is short range, i.e. head-shooting distance. It's not until you get to 500yds, i.e. mid range, that the rifleman transitions to body shots.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling