I would have to say, easy on this now, the 30-06 is the minimum caliber to b e used for a decent b ull. Only reason why is MOST, not all, MOST do not shoot enough to be that effective and do not learn there limitations. I feel, from my experience with hunting parties, the 30-06, using a premium bullet from the average hunter who might see the range twice a year, should be kept at 300/350 yards. Otherwise, I feel if your shooting this 30-06 at 450 plus at a quarter shot, using standard bullets, you might want to not shoot as a near shot is not good.

Using the good magnum calibers with faster speed and pounds using the same or larger bullets, will take a quarter shot and kill that elk much faster due to wound channels all the through. Just my humble opinion.

It is funny how I have hunted Elk in Colorado for decades and maybe talked to a few hunters afield, out of hundreds over the years, and the few had a 30-06. The rest had magnum rifles. Then on most forums and most discussions, I read nothing but the opposite, 30-06, 270, 25-06 being the choices. Hmmm, seems something is missing. Just telling it straight, unless your a range shooter often, experienced hunter and use good bullets, those calibers should be used for deer. Just remember before you butcher me here, my ideas if limitations and such using the lighter calibers.