As a sucker for cheap guns that work, I thought I'd try out the Hatfield 20 ga from Walmart (I know, I know). After unboxing, the fit and finish wasn't too bad but definitely not "B-gun" quality, but it was only $226 plus tax. The walnut is pretty plain and it's definitely a budget gun, 28" barrel which I would rather have a 26" but I can live with it. It uses a design similar to the Browning Gold with recoil spring in the stock. I stripped it down and removed the factory packing oil, lightly lubing the receiver, single action bar and mag tube with CLP.

Off to the range I went yesterday to check function. I loaded 3 rounds of Estate Super Sport 7/8 oz 7 1/2s and fired into the berm...first round went off, second "click". It didn't load the shell into the chamber and was stuck on the carrier so I shucked the action again and got it to reach battery. I had 2-3 other instances of this happening but after about 30 rounds through the gun it ran without a hitch. Rain shortened my trip yesterday so I only ran 50 rounds through the gun.

It's too soon to form an opinion on it at this point and I may need to run a box or two of heavier shells through it to help with break in.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 08/22/16.