My $0.02 is that a quality rifle is a "lifetime purchase", though I understand that is the way some view scopes.

The difference IMO, is that scopes are getting better and better, while rifles are getting worse and worse. This is because technology is increasing while craftsmanship is decreasing.

I have three Weatherby Vanguards, an early S1, a late S1, and a recent S2. They show an evident decline in action smoothness, finish quality, and overall feel.

I typically spend about 50% on my scopes of what I do on my rifles.

I have a VX-II 3-9x50 on my oldest rifle, and a VX-1 2-7x33 on my other S1. Believe it or not, the the $200 VX-1 with the smaller objective and lower power range is both brighter and clearer than the older $500 scope.

If you look at cell phones, computers, and other things that are technology driven, they are both better and cheaper than they were in the past. If you look at furniture, cars, and other things that require craftsmanship, they are more expensive and more poorly constructed than the older models.

One of the reasons why the cheaper rifles are so popular is that they cater to market demands, while the higher quality ones are slow to change. Threaded barrels, better triggers, and modern calibers are what buyers want today.

I also understand those that use a rifle strictly as a tool, that gets abused and neglected day in and day out with little care or maintenance. I enjoy every minute of holding my walnut-stocked Weatherby in the woods, but it would probably be different if that rifle lived in a fishing boat.

I'd still rather buy an heirloom grade rifle with a less expensive but still reliable scope, and upgrade it down the line when I have the funds.