Lot's of 348 Win bullet testing (see previous threads) time to verify the Winchester 71 on game. Took the old 71 out on a trip this weekend.

Not much time to hunt lately but I managed to take Friday off, study my maps of the Yukon and find a place suited well to the surface drive engine and my big 21 foot Scott Freighter canoe. This rig is very shallow water capable and I also brought a big Tripper canoe to portage into some little hunted further lakes. Didn't need it as 3 hours into the hunt we saw a moose moving out ahead of us in the very shallow connector between two lakes. Loaded up the 71 and followed slowly. Around a bend and there was a small bull with one antler. (Before I go any further In the Yukon a motor boat is the only allowable huntable power vehicle.)

Got as close as I could and shut off the motor for the final glide. The cow vanished up an escape route and as I hoped the bull followed her across the narrow channel. I swung the boat broad side to get my son out of the line of fire and waited for him to hit land...( cleaning a bull in water isn't fun) As he stepped onto dry land I threaded a bullet between two willow thickets and thought I saw hip drop....after that he vanished from sight.

Range was perhaps 125 yards. We edged closer and I landed at a game trail I thought he had used...no bull. I went up the hill and at the hill top it opened into a nice semi-clearing... No bull. No blood trail. My son came up to join me and said he thought he had heard something grown about 20 yards from where I started up the hill. Went down and sure enough there was my bull. He hadn't moved from when hit, I had simply landed to early and picked the wrong trail. 6 hours later he was in my boat and my back was very soar!

Bullet used 200 grain Hornady with 62 grains of 4451 and CCI 250 primers given a crimp with the lee factory crimp die. This is a 2500fps load and groups consistently well under 2" with magnum primers.

Impact velocity 2050 ft sec and 2500 ft sec

Bullet performance... wrecked about 15 pounds of meat, broke front shoulder, and entered into high lung and burried into off shoulder..did not penetrate. Finishing shot to neck-base of skull at three yards completely wrecked spine. Did not exit. Neither bullet recovered.

Bullet showed perfect performance for a deer possibly elk but a bit low on penetration for moose. That said I have never dropped a moose like this before even with the 358 Norma.

Lessons learned: 1) the 200 Hornady might be a bit frangible for something as big as a moose. 2) Moose quarters are heavy, 3) I am really stiff today,,need to hit the weights more consistently. 3) I love the freighter canoe and Louisiana Mud Motor combo..made for each other and this kind of land scape.

Expect a 12 hour day today meat processing but have a video on the go and more pictures. Here are three to get the party started.

1) Loading the beast.
[Linked Image]

2) The moose following his girl friend across the channel
[Linked Image]

3) Moose down 5 yards from the waters edge and our canoe can get very close. Put him down instantly.

[Linked Image]

Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1ljh6jF2c

Last edited by North61; 10/02/16.