Originally Posted by 450Fuller

Its not always as simple as it seems with big game. Bears are a whole different animal with amazing tenacity to life. Dr. Stephen Herrero, U. of Calgary
and I have corresponded for a couple of years. He is the author of Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance. He generally goes along with the US Forest Service
recommendation of 338-WM-375 H&H, 458 WM. These are bolt action rifle calibers and there I slightly part company with the USFS. No bolt action can keep up with an 1886/Model 71 if aimed rapidity of fire is the desired result. The other challenge is the tendency to drop the bolt action slightly from the shoulder on repeat shots-especially with the long action 375 H&H. I have early Model 70s in 338 and 375 Holland. Without LOTS of practice-you lose time in bolt handling for re-chambering the next round. Coupled with a rifle off the shoulder that spells real problems. I have faced down bears in the lower 48 and Alaska. They are amazingly fast and can be on you before you can blink.

Harold Johnson , the originator of the 450 Alaskan, shot bears with the 30-06 and various calibers. He realized that a charging bear may be killed by a bullet from a lesser caliber,
but not before the bear evens the score with the hunter. There are cases on file. The idea is to STOP the bear with a shoulder down or broken-or possibly a center of mass spine/heart shot. Just last year in Glacier National Park-at the West boundry-a mtn biker slammed into a 6-yr old grizzly, rounding a curve. He was killed almost immediately by the bear. So...in bear country I carry a 450 Alaskan with 400 gr FP Hawk or Alaska Bullet Works bonded core bullets, in a 1936 pre-war Model 71. The old timers in Alaska
carried 1886 45-70s, 50-110s, and 405 1895 rifles for a reason. They lived to tell the tale.

Life is short, eat desert first and keep your eyes on the skyline-nose into the wind.

I won't argue. I have been up close to big Grizzly and Polar bears and the muscular development and intimidation factor are pretty amazing. I'd be confident in the 348 but if I knew I was going into battle I'd have my 1895 in 405 Win (300g Woodleighs) in my hands, or my guidegun in 450 Marlin (405g Woodleighs). There is no replacement for displacement but if all I had was the 348 I could do a lot worse!