This rifle rates pretty high on my coolness scale. It also has pegged the needle on the "dammit" scale.

It's a Mauser out of Niedner's shop about 1930, from Michael Petrov's collection via a post-auction sale.

The rifle was affordable, and had too many features I appreciate to pass up. It's built around a 1912 commercial Oberndorf action, with the barrel by Niedner, chambered in 30-06. The peep sight is a fine old Redfield, the front sight is by Marble. The checkered steel buttplace is stunning. It has double set triggers, lever-opening hinged floorplate, etc.

Although the stock is unsigned, but was clearly done by masters. The shape is classic although the figure is rather plain. The border-less checkering is flawless. Carved grip and forestock panels usually give me the collywobbles, but these are tasteful and display great craftmanship.

Here are some photos made by the person who sold me the rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!

Unfortunately, there was insufficient care given in the packing and shipping procedure, so the stock and peepsight did not survive a drop. Seller and buyer were both upset.
[Linked Image]

Negotiations commenced. I decided to go through with the purchase (at a significant discount) with the intention of careful repair, assuming the gun shot well. My smith bedded it in an old military stock and repaired the sight. The rifle shot into about 1.5" at 100 yds, so seller and I came to a mutually satisfactory agreement. Repairs of my rifle are underway.

--Bob

Last edited by BullShooter; 10/08/16.