The outer sleeve with the markings on it is the same length as the tube it's on that I cut. It runs to the inner o-ring lip... If you leave those lips, it'd never slide off... It does not need cut per se. But it is only secured by a drop of glue, and may get loose on you. Then your rubber cap, which is snug fit to it, would just slide off with the sleeve inside it, if the o-ring lips are gone, or spin around freely if intact.... Additionally the goods I am using to cap it don't fit well with the sleeve on. And would not work with the o-ring lips itact. Maybe there's better ways, such as SWFA engineering it. LOL If you like the sleeve, you could glue it on better, so it stays, then cap it with something that'll fit over it snug, or whatever.... Trying to grind the o-ring lips off, to leave the shaft longer etc would be a biotch. Figuring a cap that leaves the large o-ring groove intact is likely a better all-around, yet 1/8"+ taller solution.

Yah, wacking the splined tube off too short is most certainly not a good idea. LOL

I have not spun the brass way out to see what will happen as I have no need to go way left of center. Maybe you could twist yours way out (turn clockwise) and see if the brass doodad, that has the two small divots, is thin, thick or what? Or if you can tell what goods are secured by the splines. Dammed if I know. It'll just spin out and stop just like it does turning the dial unmodified... Maybe spinning out a bit extra first or not doing it at all is wayyy better.

I would not do this on a scope just used at a bench. Again, not suggesting anyone do this. I like the handling much better.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?