Nebraska
<br>While I might not be able to get one to fit perfectly for another, the playing I have done with stocks for myself has given me a fair understanding of what makes a stock work. Boggy is mostly right, but perpetuates the most common misconception about stock length, which says it is a function of arm length... it isn't.
<br>
<br>The stock comes up against the shoulder and the eye is supposed to naturally align itself with the sights... so where would arm length fit into the geometry of this triangle (sorry Boggy, no offense intended) My brother is 2 1/2" shorter than I, but his arms are unbelievably long at over 7' tip-to-tip. He uses a shorter stock than most because he is afflicted with the family's narrow shoulders. (He once was the AK state RF champ)
<br>
<br>A big component of length-needed MUST be to eliminate the POSSIBILITY of taking a scope in the forehead during recoil, from any shooting position. Generally, the only way to truly get the fit right is with an adjustable stock. Adding to and cutting off an unused stock until you get the fit right is also easy enough to do.
<br>
<br>Anything changed from the original set-up changes the geometry of the whole thing when you are looking for the perfect fit.
<br>
<br>With scoped rifles the comb height is going to be just as high as it can be and still clear the bolt, so higher scope mounts will require the shooter to lift his head more, which moves it back, meaning the perfect stock would need to be shorter, for example.
<br>art
<br>
<br>
<br>

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.