Why do Tikka T-3's shoot so darned well? I have had them in 204, 223, 243, 308 and all have shot under one inch for 5 shot groups and usually nearer one-half inch for 5 shot groups, and that is with nothing more than adjusting the trigger weight to where I like it.

Everything about them seems to defy what has been conventional knowledge about what it takes to make a rifle group well. I know that they have Sako barrels and Sako triggers, and that they have a relatively stiff receiver with the small magazine and small ejection port. But they have the small minimal contact recoil lug which only fits in a small grove in the receiver which seems to defy conventional thinking of how large and how much area a recoil lug needs. Everyone I have requires a long jump to the lands - another thing that goes against what has been thought to be a no-no all these years. Not only that but they seem to shoot any reasonable handload or quality factory ammo with no drama.

Do the Finns take more time and care in truing the receiver, making the barrels, fitting everything so it is true and square? I have spent more time than I want to think about trying to make other brands of rifles shoot like Tikka's do out of the box, sometimes to the point of having actions trued, replacing barrels, replacing triggers. What the heck does Tikka do that other manufacturers do not?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.