Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by 65BR
Barrel length and placement matters, but this might help. Also, there may be some difference in how soon one stops with xyz, but it's hard to quantify, and one will never know, unless they have an event.........

I do feel ammo matters - a good bit.....as well as placement.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4593

That's a good link to have.

9mm has four loads at 90% or above

357 Mag has two loads at 90% or above

357 Sig has three loads at 90% or above

40 S&W has seven loads at 90% or above

45 ACP has eight loads at 90% or above

Hmmm......

If you think ANY handgun cartridge gives you a 90% chance of stopping someone in one round, you're going to be in a world of hurt if you find yourself in a gun fight.

No major LE agency in the world takes Evan marshals methodology seriously. In my opinion it's a highly flawed methodology.

Please feel free to quote where I said I think that?

I did not link the paper, someone else did, I just read it with the data reported. Seemed interesting. Sorry it upsets you so much. By all means, carry what you like.

I'll say here what I always say about rifle bullets and hunting - shot placement is the single most important factor above all others.

Reliable shot placement is most dependent on practice and whether the shooter is comfortable with the pistol.

As for highly flawed ideas in this thread, sectional density is irrelevant now, if it ever was relevant at all. SD is meaningless with today's bullet options. Bullet design and construction are far more relevant.

Also, my simple test of shooting pigs in the head from very close range caused the 9mm Gold Dot to ricochet, while the 45/200 XTP produced deep penetration and a major wound. After seeing that with my own two eyes, I could care less how many sectional density numbers are put up, I know which one of those two is more likely to penetrate a skull.